Cake Board Covering Shows Grease - Help!!!

Decorating By SheriCakes4u Updated 29 Apr 2011 , 8:20pm by sillywabbitz

SheriCakes4u Posted 29 Apr 2011 , 2:57pm
post #1 of 11

I recently began covering my cake boards with Freezer Paper (prior to that, I used tin foil, but thought that the white freezer paper looked much nicer). I did a nice beach scene cake, in buttercream, with a buttercream border. After a couple of hours, I noticed that there were grease stains spreading out from the cake in places. icon_redface.gif Yikes! I sprinkled some turbinado sugar around, making it look like a beach. I was using Sugarshack's Buttercream with hi-ratio shortening.

Does anyone know to keep this from happening? Is there a better material (other than fondant) to cover the board with that will not show grease?

I am doing 2 cakes for this weekend, so any suggestions would be much appreciated! Thanks!

10 replies
sebrina Posted 29 Apr 2011 , 3:10pm
post #2 of 11

Walmart in my area sells cake boards that have a silver top & require no covering. I use them a lot.

lilmissbakesalot Posted 29 Apr 2011 , 3:22pm
post #3 of 11

I cover the boards with fondant and I've never had a grease issue. You just have to let them dry for a couple of days so they don't get finger marks when you handle them. icon_smile.gif

debbief Posted 29 Apr 2011 , 6:35pm
post #4 of 11

I use clear contact paper over gift wrap, scrap book paper, cloth, tissue paper...whatever I find that goes well with the cake.

tonedna Posted 29 Apr 2011 , 6:48pm
post #5 of 11

Simple cardboards are not meant to be used for a finished cake without no covering.
The single ones are mostly meant for in between tiers and you should cover both side with wax paper.
Most of the times, the ones widely used are the thicker 1/2 inch ones that come already covered in fancy foil. Not only they are better, they are stronger. They are called drum boards.

You can make your own drumboards by gluing 3 or 4 single cake boards with a glue gun and then
covering it with fancy foil.

Even if you are finishing your cake with fondant, the fanci foil protects the cardboard from getting greasy, which will make the board unstable..

Edna icon_smile.gif

MissCuteCupcakes Posted 29 Apr 2011 , 6:57pm
post #6 of 11

i use contact paper and cellophane

platinumlady Posted 29 Apr 2011 , 6:58pm
post #7 of 11

Cellophane paper works great for me. It comes in a variety of colors & works great.

sillywabbitz Posted 29 Apr 2011 , 7:14pm
post #8 of 11

I had the same problem with freezer paper. There is FDA approved cellophane at michael's but be sure you get the FDA one. Lots of cellophane is not food safe. I know people use none food safe items but if the grease is going to the freezer paper then you know something is making contact and that makes me want to use food grade stuff. I too cover a lit of my boards in fondant. Easy and food safeicon_smile.gif

jones5cm Posted 29 Apr 2011 , 7:37pm
post #9 of 11

Freezer paper has a shiny side and a dull (paper) side. make sure you are using the shiny side up (where the cake will come in contact). I've used freezer paper to cover even foam core boards and not had an issue with 'leakage'.

TexasSugar Posted 29 Apr 2011 , 7:41pm
post #10 of 11

I've used freezer paper a lot. I've had some grease issues, but not usually with in a few hours. Did you have the shiny side up?

sillywabbitz Posted 29 Apr 2011 , 8:20pm
post #11 of 11

I use it shiny side up and I always have this problem. I use Sugar shacks recipe too so I wonder if it is the hi ratio.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%