Rolled Buttercream Fondant Vs. Marshmallow Fondant

Decorating By KMKakes Updated 2 May 2011 , 3:31am by cakegirl1973

KMKakes Posted 29 Apr 2011 , 9:53am
post #1 of 8

Hands down I like working with Satin Ice fondant. Yet, there are those times that I may use a homemade version of fondant. I have made the MMF and look how it taste,etc. I have tasted Duff's buttercream fondant and have seen rolled buttercream fondant recipes online. For those who have used both homemade recipes which do you prefer of the two: rolled buttercream fondant or marshmallow fondant, AND why do you prefer the one over the other?

7 replies
pncbrewer Posted 29 Apr 2011 , 11:00am
post #2 of 8

im am in the south and the rolled buttercream doesn't hold up for me. it is way way to soft. i have tired everything. the mmf works great every time.

artee37 Posted 29 Apr 2011 , 11:26am
post #3 of 8

When I have to use fondant I prefer to use MMF it tastes good holds up well. I don't care for the taste of the rolled fondant when I make it myself maybe I"m doing something wrong.

I have never used satin what does it taste like and does it hold up well?

KMKakes Posted 29 Apr 2011 , 8:07pm
post #4 of 8

The Satin Ice taste wonderful. To me it's not overly sweet and it's easy to work with. Where I am located, it doesn't come very cheap in comparison to making the MMF. My MMF sometimes cracks, separates while trying to roll it out after so long, after adding color it becomes sticky, and becomes difficult to work with.

auzzi Posted 1 May 2011 , 6:27am
post #5 of 8

Rolled buttercream fondant does not exist:

Rolled buttercream is a "stiffened" form of buttercream. It can be rolled out but is fragile and tears easily. But it fixes relatively well.

Rolled fondant is a sugar paste: you can buy a commercial product or use a recipe to make it yourself. It rolls out well, drapes well and apply easily. Tears are a little more difficult to fix.

Marshmallow fondant is a variation on Rolled fondant. It is easy to make at home and there is no commercial equivalent. Its cheap to make, easy to apply and generally tastes okay with the right flavouring.

PJ37 Posted 1 May 2011 , 1:52pm
post #6 of 8

Rolled buttercream is delicious on NFSC. I would think it would be very difficult to handle on a cake (would tear easily).

cakegirl1973 Posted 2 May 2011 , 3:26am
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ37

Rolled buttercream is delicious on NFSC. I would think it would be very difficult to handle on a cake (would tear easily).

I have only had success using it on cookies and cupcakes. I tried to cover a cake with it and it is much too soft. It cracked, tore, and was a mess!

cakegirl1973 Posted 2 May 2011 , 3:31am
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ37

I have only had success using it on cookies and cupcakes. I tried to cover a cake with it and it is much too soft. It cracked, tore, and was a mess!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%