Bake Sale For Alabama Tornado Victims

Lounge By shanney54 Updated 3 May 2011 , 7:19pm by KASCARLETT

shanney54 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanney54 Posted 29 Apr 2011 , 3:51am
post #1 of 9

Sorry if I put this in the wrong place, but I wasn't sure where else it would go. I have been blessed to still be alive, have a roof over my head, and my friends and family are ok. I want to help in some way and am thinking about having a bake sale. Does anyone have an advice on the best way to go about it? Any info would be helpful, and if anyone in the area would like to participate please let me know!!! TIA! icon_smile.gif

8 replies
sebrina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sebrina Posted 29 Apr 2011 , 4:20am
post #2 of 9

I have an aunt that lives in Gadsden. Was there any damage there?

shanney54 Posted 29 Apr 2011 , 5:44am
post #3 of 9

There was little damage in my neck of the woods, but not so in others. Does she live in Gadsden or one of the areas around it? As far as the tornadoes I don't think we had as much to worry, but the straight line winds that came through the morning before blew some trees down. I hope she's ok! Please let me know if you talk to her!

sebrina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sebrina Posted 29 Apr 2011 , 2:53pm
post #4 of 9

Thank you shanney. She lives in Gadsden. As far as I know, anyway. I have been there several times & we always just called it Gadsden. Beautiful country around there! Thank you again for the update. icon_smile.gif

ShellBell69 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShellBell69 Posted 29 Apr 2011 , 3:17pm
post #5 of 9

I live in Fultondale. I would be interested in helping in some way.

Torts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Torts Posted 3 May 2011 , 4:44am
post #6 of 9

Thank you, thank you, thank you! Great idea! I live in Tuscaloosa and my hometown in North Alabama was also devastated as well. This damage is absolutely horrific all over the state. Today I learned that a school in Kentucky wanted to have a bake sale but told us it wouldn't garner that much money. The truth is, if the money these kids made from their bake sale could buy a book bag for one of the students of one of the schools that got hit, it would be amazing.

I'd love to help out and make this a statewide effort, but I am displaced and living with a friend right now so I don't have all my baking goodies. I think I'll be volunteering at the law school to try to get people legal help instead, not to mention I still have to take finals somehow in all this mess.

Maybe you could get the participation of a local school or church? You and some others could donate the baked goods and let the kids work a table with their fellow students. Then you'd be getting your community involved with your efforts and inspiring others to use their time and talent to help.

Rebuilding by Baking! Love it.

shanney54 Posted 3 May 2011 , 7:59am
post #7 of 9

ShellBell69 & Torts, I glad that y'all are ok!!! I haven't had the bake sale yet, but yesterday I helped out at the Red Cross here in town. If I can I'd like to have it a blood drive.

Torts, do you have any friends in the area that could go in with you? I'm planning on doing chocolate covered oreos and some other no bake items, along with some cupcakes. Maybe some chocolate oatmeal cookies, peanut butter balls, fudge, etc?

Have you seen this video?

KASCARLETT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KASCARLETT Posted 3 May 2011 , 7:16pm
post #8 of 9

If you have Facebook, find Toomer's for Tuscaloosa and Like that page. There are updates on needs, and all sorts of information all the time from all over, not just from Auburn.

KASCARLETT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KASCARLETT Posted 3 May 2011 , 7:19pm
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanney54

ShellBell69 & Torts, I glad that y'all are ok!!! I haven't had the bake sale yet, but yesterday I helped out at the Red Cross here in town. If I can I'd like to have it a blood drive.

Torts, do you have any friends in the area that could go in with you? I'm planning on doing chocolate covered oreos and some other no bake items, along with some cupcakes. Maybe some chocolate oatmeal cookies, peanut butter balls, fudge, etc?

Have you seen this video?

That is so awesome! I cried when he said he wanted to raise a few thousand dollars so Alabama could go back to normal. What an amazing kid!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%