How To Make Black Bc?

Baking By sweetnessx3 Updated 5 May 2011 , 8:57pm by tonedna

sweetnessx3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetnessx3 Posted 29 Apr 2011 , 3:02am
post #1 of 13

Whats the best way to make black buttercream icing . Can you start with chocolate icing and color it black?

12 replies
misterc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misterc Posted 29 Apr 2011 , 3:23am
post #2 of 13

I like to start with chocolate and add black powdered color. It prevents it from getting to wet.

sweetnessx3 Posted 29 Apr 2011 , 11:26am
post #3 of 13

Thank you Misterc ! Ive never heard of the powder colors icon_smile.gif Would this work in the fondant as well ? Ive added to much gel ( red ) to my fondant before and it broke down icon_sad.gif ? Thanks again !

NJCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NJCakery Posted 29 Apr 2011 , 12:14pm
post #4 of 13

When you cannot use chocolate because it has been specified NO chocolate, I have used brown coloring first and then added black. This works well with the Wilton colors - my location limits me to Wilton colors. Thankfully I have not had any problems with anything breaking down, but it is good to know that it can. So if it does happen I know exactly why - thanks for the info. I will have to order some powder colors to give those a try, because I have read a lot of good things about them here in CC. Good luck with your black BC icon_smile.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 29 Apr 2011 , 1:49pm
post #5 of 13
misterc Posted 29 Apr 2011 , 1:56pm
post #6 of 13

If you make your own fondant you can add the powder color while its still wet. I still add some black gel but not nearly as much. All of my black fondant cakes were made using that method of coloring.

sweetnessx3 Posted 29 Apr 2011 , 5:58pm
post #7 of 13

Thanks for the tips icon_smile.gif I can always count on my fellow CCers icon_smile.gif TexasSugar Thank you !!!

cashley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cashley Posted 29 Apr 2011 , 6:06pm
post #8 of 13

Americolor super black and you won't need much coloring it works wonderful. Much better than Wilton colors.

Queento2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Queento2 Posted 29 Apr 2011 , 6:36pm
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by cashley

Americolor super black and you won't need much coloring it works wonderful. Much better than Wilton colors.

So true. Before trying americolor, I could never get darker than dark gray. but, I also learned to add the colorinig to the melted marshmallows to get the color I want then, start kneading in my PS. For red and black, I'll probably never use Wilton ever again, but still do the adding Wilton dye to the "liquid" mixture first, and I never have any problems achieving the color fondant that I need.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 29 Apr 2011 , 6:56pm
post #10 of 13

You dont need chocolate to make black. You need a good quality pigment color.
Use chefmaster or americolor liqui-gel black. Wont give you a bitter flavor.
Hope this helps
Edna icon_smile.gif

misterc Posted 29 Apr 2011 , 8:32pm
post #11 of 13

All I use is americolor gel but I still find I get a better tasting black if use the powder color plus a little gel.

sweetnessx3 Posted 3 May 2011 , 8:47pm
post #12 of 13

Thank severyone for your help icon_smile.gif I used americolor super black . Didnt have time to order the chefmaster or the powdered but Im definitely going to icon_smile.gif .

heres my black bc . I started with chocolate a little at a time. used a half of a small bottle of the black color and it still looked gray :-/ but I covered and let it sit for a couple hours and it did look a little darker I added a little more color and stated icing my cake . Let it sit for a while and sure enough it got darker as it sat icon_smile.gif didnt bleed on to my mmf white decor over night yay!!!!

I hate living in Ga the humidity is NOT my friend icon_sad.gif I always have to worry about the bleeding !!!!

Thanks everyone for the help and Edna I did order me some Chefmaster. I hope it helps me with my bleeding problem ...

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2023033

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 5 May 2011 , 8:57pm
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetnessx3

Thank severyone for your help icon_smile.gif I used americolor super black . Didnt have time to order the chefmaster or the powdered but Im definitely going to icon_smile.gif .

heres my black bc . I started with chocolate a little at a time. used a half of a small bottle of the black color and it still looked gray :-/ but I covered and let it sit for a couple hours and it did look a little darker I added a little more color and stated icing my cake . Let it sit for a while and sure enough it got darker as it sat icon_smile.gif didnt bleed on to my mmf white decor over night yay!!!!

I hate living in Ga the humidity is NOT my friend icon_sad.gif I always have to worry about the bleeding !!!!

Thanks everyone for the help and Edna I did order me some Chefmaster. I hope it helps me with my bleeding problem ...

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2023033

I once years ago was having problems with bleeding, I talked to chefmaster company at a trade show and they assured me that their colors didnt't bleed. I live in Florida..lots of humidity, never had issues with bleeding again.
Edna icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%