How Do You Color Fondant Super Bright Lime Green And Purple?

Decorating By alsearer Updated 29 Apr 2011 , 12:08pm by Coral3

alsearer Posted 29 Apr 2011 , 3:01am
post #1 of 13

Tomorrow I have to make some fondant accents on a cake that are lime green and bright purple. But the more and more I think about it I feel like are those colors easily achieved? Are there any specific wilton colors I can buy to help out the process or will I end up using a whole bottle no matter what? Does anyone have any tips of making super vibrant colors?!

Thanks so much!!

12 replies
ConfectionsCC Posted 29 Apr 2011 , 3:17am
post #2 of 13

I use americolor. They have colors that are "electric" LOL Like "electric blue" and they will give you those bright colors you are looking for!

shawna29xx Posted 29 Apr 2011 , 3:33am
post #3 of 13

If you are near a micheals craft store you can use ace of cakes food color gels. He has the closes thing to Americolor that you can get out of a store if you need it ASAP.It comes in a pack of four super electric colors. Hope this helps you icon_smile.gif

Teecakesandcookies Posted 29 Apr 2011 , 3:34am
post #4 of 13

Yeah I agree the americolor electric colors are the way to go!! icon_lol.gif

carmijok Posted 29 Apr 2011 , 3:44am
post #5 of 13

And if you can't find any neon colors I do know that adding bright yellow to leaf green gives a brighter neon-y shade to lime. Don't know about the purple. Wonder if a little yellow to that would brighten it? (i'm thinking out loud...if you do that let me know if it works...and do a very small experiment just in case it bombs!) icon_lol.gif

ashleyisawesome Posted 29 Apr 2011 , 4:01am
post #6 of 13

At the Hobby Lobby where I live, they sell the tiny containers of americolor. For lime green I always just use yellow with a hint of leaf green. Electric purple will prob be the only way to get a bright purple, though. I personally think Wilton gel colors are terrible..

sebrina Posted 29 Apr 2011 , 4:15am
post #7 of 13

I do a lot of bright colors. Be careful not to assume it will just take a lot of color, if you add to much color, it will just be dark, not bright. I use wilton's leaf green with lemon yellow. For the purple, I would use americolor's electric purple or play with a small amount of fondant & add pink & sky blue until you find the color you want. HTH!

sacakesandbakes Posted 29 Apr 2011 , 4:41am
post #8 of 13

I've used McCormick Neon Food colors from the grocery store before. The Neon green works pretty well, but I couldnt get the purple right.

Coral3 Posted 29 Apr 2011 , 6:33am
post #9 of 13

For lime green start by mixing a really good bright yellow (wilton lemon yellow) then add green (wilton leaf green) a little at a time. Purple is a bit trickier though - I don't get on well with purple. You could try mixing a bright pink, then add blue or purple a touch at a time.

sunset74 Posted 29 Apr 2011 , 7:38am
post #10 of 13

I would definatly recommend either the Americolor/Duff Electrics. Duff is americolor so you can't go wrong with either Michaels or Hobby Lobby. Chefmaster is a GREAT one also.

SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 29 Apr 2011 , 10:24am
post #11 of 13

Yellow mixed with purple will probably turn brown.

NJCakery Posted 29 Apr 2011 , 12:05pm
post #12 of 13

Sadly our Michael's where I am at doesn't carry much in the way of cake accessories other than Wilton. They have limited amount of Ace of Cakes items - no colorings though -ugh- Unfortunately, there are no other craft-hobby stores other than Michael's here huge double ugh-

However, I did get neon food colors similar to the McCormick brand, and they work fairly well. The bright purple I made and ended up not using was the neon purple mixed with the neon pink. As mentioned previously, start out with a small amount, and add in very small amounts to get the right color. In the mix I made I started with the neon pink and added the neon purple. It took more pink than purple to get the right color. Hope this helps icon_smile.gif

Coral3 Posted 29 Apr 2011 , 12:08pm
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretAgentCakeBaker

Yellow mixed with purple will probably turn brown.

thumbs_up.gif

Probably!? I'd say definitely! Seriously, DON'T go adding any yellow to your purple - the result will not be pretty!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%