Please Help Me! Going Crazy.

Baking By KarolynAndrea Updated 29 Apr 2011 , 4:30pm by TexasSugar

KarolynAndrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KarolynAndrea Posted 29 Apr 2011 , 1:59am
post #1 of 9

Why is this happening to my BC? I have been using the same recipe for years. Haven't changed anything. Recipe: 1C Butter. 1C Crisco. 1C Sweetex. Clear Vanilla. 2Lbs Powdered Sugar. Hot Coffee Creamer to get to desired consistency (per Sugarshack's recipe).
It happens after the icing has time to set, refrigerated or not. If I re-mix it, it goes away, then comes back.
[/img]

8 replies
jo3d33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jo3d33 Posted 29 Apr 2011 , 2:03am
post #2 of 9

You need to sift your powdered sugar. That happend to me too, but sifting helps. If you use walmart/cheaper brand of sugar its worse. HTH. Good luck.

sweetnessx3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetnessx3 Posted 29 Apr 2011 , 2:49am
post #3 of 9

Happened to me to before icon_sad.gif . I thought it was my crisco though so I started adding hot water to my recipe to help it blend but thought about the sugar also .... couldnt figure out which one caused it . That is such a cute cake icon_smile.gif

sandeeb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandeeb Posted 29 Apr 2011 , 2:52am
post #4 of 9

Hi, The powder sugar can be the problem. I have also had trouble getting the ''new crisco'' to get completely creamy. What I do is mix in some of the sifted powdered sugar at the start of creaming the shortening so the mixture will get very smooth and all the little white chunks dissolve.

sandeeb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandeeb Posted 29 Apr 2011 , 2:52am
post #5 of 9

Hi, The powder sugar can be the problem. I have also had trouble getting the ''new crisco'' to get completely creamy. What I do is mix in some of the sifted powdered sugar at the start of creaming the shortening so the mixture will get very smooth and all the little white chunks dissolve.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 29 Apr 2011 , 3:07am
post #6 of 9

Does it only happen on dark colors?

KarolynAndrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KarolynAndrea Posted 29 Apr 2011 , 4:09pm
post #7 of 9

Happens on all colors, you can see it more on the dark ones.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 29 Apr 2011 , 4:23pm
post #8 of 9

We used to say it was undissolved salt. But I know of many who did not add salt to their icing and still had the problem. Back then (like 10, even 20 yrs ago) no one thought it could be the sugar. Did you change brands maybe - any of the ingredients ??
If not, then I tend to agree that maybe you need to sift the sugar &/or cream it with the shortening better. I know Wilton has taught people to mix only a minute or two but I have had great results creaming buttercream icing (at lowest possible speed of mixer) for as much as 10 minutes.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 29 Apr 2011 , 4:30pm
post #9 of 9

I actually believe the spots are more of a water thing, the minerals/chemicals reacting to the colors.

In class I'll have students that have spots in certain colors, but it won't be everyone in the class just certain people. If I make icing at home I don't have spotting issues. When I make icing in class, using water from the store, I will sometimes get spots.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%