Gum Paste Help

Decorating By huskerplainsmama Updated 29 Apr 2011 , 1:17am by Marianna46

huskerplainsmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
huskerplainsmama Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 7:36pm
post #1 of 7

Hi everyone!!

I'm pretty new to using gum paste for decorations but I'm having a great time! Quick question for other gp users out there...

Is there a way to make the gum paste decorations look shinier? Mine just look dry and icky. Products are very VERY limited in my small town so nearly everything I use has to be ordered online or picked up 100+ miles away.

Any advice or hints would be greatly appreciated!!

Happy Baking icon_smile.gif

6 replies
Chantalscreativecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chantalscreativecakes Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 7:38pm
post #2 of 7

How about painting it with sparkledust mixed with lemon juice?

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 7:43pm
post #3 of 7

If you have something to steam them with, that would help. You can use a steam iron or a clothes steamer. Just don't steam them so much that they start melting.

ashleyb4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashleyb4 Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 7:44pm
post #4 of 7

Are you coloring the gumpaste or jsut using it white? If you are using dust to color the objects, you can steam it afterward and this helps with sheen. There is also an edible glaze you can make with equal parts of corn syrup and vodka.

huskerplainsmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
huskerplainsmama Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 7:51pm
post #5 of 7

Thank you all!!

I'm coloring the gum paste so the syrup/vodka recipe might help as could the steamer, which I have. Could you please fwd the recipe to me if possible?!

I looked all over podunkville for dust of all sorts but no luck. Will have to invest in some next time we head to town!!

Happy Baking icon_smile.gif

ashleyb4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashleyb4 Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 8:08pm
post #6 of 7

Easy recipe. Basically you can use any measurements, it is just a 1:1 ratio. I usually do a small batch, so 1/4 cup corn syrup 1/4 cup vodka. Mix and brush on!

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 29 Apr 2011 , 1:17am
post #7 of 7

The only problem with this glaze is that it will dissolve bright colors and spread them all over your cake. This is a picture of one of the first cakes I did:
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1318877
It was red and white, not red and pink before I glazed it with vodka and corn syrup. What I do now is to glaze each different color separately so that doesn't happen.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%