Coloring Glaze

Decorating By motherhen220 Updated 28 Apr 2011 , 11:03pm by motherhen220

motherhen220 Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 4:12pm
post #1 of 5

Perhaps a silly question. I want to make mini rum cakes (in a wedding cake shape or maybe cake pops) for dd's wedding. It calls for a simple glaze of sugar, water, rum, etc.
Can I color the glaze or add a type of edible glitter to it to pretty up the cake since there is no frosting?
Thank you.

4 replies
TexasSugar Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 4:34pm
post #2 of 5

You can color it. But just know it is more of a transparent glaze, not a solid one.

motherhen220 Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 5:40pm
post #3 of 5

Thank you. The rum cake is a yellow cake & I can't remember how clear the rum glaze is. I noticed pixie or fairy dust, can I mix this into the glaze?

This site is amazing even for non-decorators/bakers. Thank you for any help!

TexasSugar Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 6:30pm
post #4 of 5

I haven't used pixie or fairy dust that I can remember. But I'm thinking you'll want to sprinkle them over the glaze after it is made.

My grandma made a rum cake all the time and I have even made it. For some reason I am thinking the glaze is pretty transparent. Doesn't it use granulated sugar instead of powder sugar? Powder sugar glazes do have a little more white color to them.

motherhen220 Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 11:03pm
post #5 of 5

Haven't made it in awhile, but it is gran.sugar & transparent thats why I thought something sparkly might help. I don't want any other frosting on it. I bet its the same recipe! Thx!

Quote by @%username% on %date%