Coconut Rum Cake Balls

Baking By Alienbody Updated 29 Apr 2011 , 1:54am by Alienbody

Alienbody Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alienbody Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 3:36pm
post #1 of 7

Cake mix magic: I want to use a devils food mix to make coconut rum cake balls. Should I use coconut milk or coconut cream in place of the veg oil/butter? And should I use coconut rum in place of the water (or some of it)? If I need to, I'll use a vanilla buttercream that I have in the fridge...but I'm hoping the coconut milk/creme (or both) will make it moist enough. Thoughts from the experts??

6 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 3:49pm
post #2 of 7

I'd use the milk in place of your liquid, rather than the fats in your recipe.

Alienbody Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 4:14pm
post #3 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

I'd use the milk in place of your liquid, rather than the fats in your recipe.

Thanks! I'll try that and maybe just use the coconut rum to pour over the top when the cake is done. Guess it can't hurt!

TexasSugar Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 4:17pm
post #4 of 7

I'd probably add in a little coconut extract to the cake mix, use either the coconut milk in place of water, or use some coconut rum mixed with the liquids you use. You don't want to use all coconut rum in place of the liquids or the cake will be dry.

Alienbody Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 5:32pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:

You don't want to use all coconut rum in place of the liquids or the cake will be dry.

THANKS! I didn't think of that.

TexasSugar Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 6:36pm
post #6 of 7

You could also put some coconut through a food processor and toast it a little and mix that into the cake mix to add a little more coconut taste to it all. icon_smile.gif

Alienbody Posted 29 Apr 2011 , 1:54am
post #7 of 7
Quote:

You could also put some coconut through a food processor and toast it a little and mix that into the cake mix to add a little more coconut taste to it all. icon_smile.gif

I already have some toasted coconut on hand that I used for amaretto cake balls. I just might whirl it around the processor and add it to the batter! Thanks for all the great suggestions and help!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%