How Much For Hydrangeas?

Decorating By CutieMcCakes Updated 29 Apr 2011 , 6:34pm by CutieMcCakes

CutieMcCakes Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 3:31pm
post #1 of 10

Hello everyone! I hope someone has some ideas for this, but I was wondering what everyone would charge for handmade fondant/gumpaste hydrangeas? I have a bride who wants them, but i worry about them being nonedible and requiring sufficient water. So my other option is to handmake them, but I have no clue what to charge.. any suggestions?
Thanks in advance~!

9 replies
carmijok Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 4:01pm
post #2 of 10

You might look online at some of the people who sell sugar art flowers to get an idea. Those are pretty detailed flowers with a lot of little petals so I imagine they would be somewhat expensive--primarily in the time it takes to create them. Are you wanting to use this as a topper? We used real hydrangeas all the time at the bakery I worked for...but most of the times, the florist that the bride was using supplied them all ready to go and all we had to do was top the cake with them. At the very least the florist could have them waiting for you when you arrived so you would not have to be responsible for keeping them fresh. Whenever the bride requested fresh flowers on her cake, we would tell her we could contact the florist or she could. Worked out great.

CutieMcCakes Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 4:49pm
post #3 of 10

did you ever use hydrangeas on the cake? What the idea is, is to have 4 tier wedding cake, with separator tiers inbetween each cake tier. The hydrangea bunches would then be stuck in the separator tiers, looking like each cake tier is floating on a bed of hydrangeas.
I am friends with the florist that is doing her flowers, and they began to panic when I mentioned that hydrangeas were wanted on the cake... so i don't know if i can/should do it or not.

Sassy74 Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 5:38pm
post #4 of 10

Sorry I can't help you with a figure, but I recently made dozens of gumpaste hydrangeas so I can offer this advice...charge well for your time. These little guys can be quite time consuming because you have to make so many for an arrangement. Using Petalsweet's tutorial, I made a ton. Her tutorial is a-ma-zing. But I basically spent an evening making all the centers, and they have to be made by hand. I made about 200 in one night and I thought my eyes were going to cross!

After they dry (overnight), you can make the petals. I use a cutter set from GSA that's a small and a large, and it came with a veiner set. I absolutely LOVE this cutter/veiner set. So you do all the petals in one night, then move on.

The next night, I dusted. Again, each flower can take a good bit of time if you really want detail. I dusted the centers first using a light daffodil yellow. Then, I dusted one group a light green, and added pink or purple highlights to the very tips, another batch pink and added magenta highlights, and another batch blue with robin's egg highlights. Finally, I steamed and taped them all. Whew.

I love love love how they came out, but again, they took quite a while, and they're small so it takes a lot to make a sizeable arrangement. Hope that helps!

I

CutieMcCakes Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 5:44pm
post #5 of 10

Sassy, that sounds quite helpful as well! do you happen to know what the set was called? There were a couple choices available.. do you have a link? Thank you!

carmijok Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 6:51pm
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by CutieMcCakes

did you ever use hydrangeas on the cake? What the idea is, is to have 4 tier wedding cake, with separator tiers inbetween each cake tier. The hydrangea bunches would then be stuck in the separator tiers, looking like each cake tier is floating on a bed of hydrangeas.
I am friends with the florist that is doing her flowers, and they began to panic when I mentioned that hydrangeas were wanted on the cake... so i don't know if i can/should do it or not.

I would send a picture of a cake they did with flowers stuffed between the tiers, but I can't upload it and I can't post it to my photos because I didn't make it, but yes, they did. Did you ask the florists concerns? You're basically just setting the flowers on top of the cake and not embedded in, right? Just stuffed between the tiers...Maybe they are concerned that the hydrangeas might be too big or something.

Sassy74 Posted 29 Apr 2011 , 12:46am
post #7 of 10

Cutie, here's a link. If this doesn't work, the item number is 19020 and it's the Hydrangea Blossom Set by Sunflower Sugar Art. Totally recommend it!

http://www.globalsugarart.com/product.php?id=19020&name=Hydrangea%20Blossom%20Set%20(SV-020)%20by%20Sunflower%20Sugar%20Art

Also, check out Petalsweets tutorial if you get the chance. It was very helpful!

lilmissbakesalot Posted 29 Apr 2011 , 12:56am
post #8 of 10

Well hydrangeas can be toxic depending on the variety, so maybe they were worried about that? But between the tiers you can have them in floral forms and they wouldn't touch the cake. They have plastic flower holders with oasis foam in them so you would soak the foam and stick the flowers in and they would have plenty of water and it wouldn't leak on the cake.

If you do make them... charge a TON. They aren't hard, but you have to make so many it gets time consuming. Making the centers is the hardest part.

hrnewbie Posted 29 Apr 2011 , 1:20am
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassy74

Sorry I can't help you with a figure, but I recently made dozens of gumpaste hydrangeas so I can offer this advice...charge well for your time. These little guys can be quite time consuming because you have to make so many for an arrangement. Using Petalsweet's tutorial, I made a ton. Her tutorial is a-ma-zing. But I basically spent an evening making all the centers, and they have to be made by hand. I made about 200 in one night and I thought my eyes were going to cross!

After they dry (overnight), you can make the petals. I use a cutter set from that's a small and a large, and it came with a veiner set. I absolutely LOVE this cutter/veiner set. So you do all the petals in one night, then move on.

The next night, I dusted. Again, each flower can take a good bit of time if you really want detail. I dusted the centers first using a light daffodil yellow. Then, I dusted one group a light green, and added pink or purple highlights to the very tips, another batch pink and added magenta highlights, and another batch blue with robin's egg highlights. Finally, I steamed and taped them all. Whew.

I love love love how they came out, but again, they took quite a while, and they're small so it takes a lot to make a sizeable arrangement. Hope that helps!

I

I second this one. If you've not done hydrangeas before they take some getting used to, at least for me it did. I was lucky to make 20 centers in an hour and then the petals, drying, coloring, etc. was all even more time. And remember that you have to bunch the individual blossoms together in groups to get the flower ball. And these things break like crazy! I made 200 and ended up with less than 100 useable and that made only about 10-12 small bunches of flowers. Your time is going to be the most expensive part of this endeavor. Really expensive. icon_confused.gif

CutieMcCakes Posted 29 Apr 2011 , 6:34pm
post #10 of 10

wow, good to know. I was thinking each bunch was about 4 hour of work, and I KNOW they're not going to want to pay for that since they're on a budget. But really, do they want the cake of their dreams or not?

I'm not embedding the flowers or petals into the cake, the would be stuck into separator dummy tiers between the tiers of cake. And I know I can always put a piece of wax paper under the petals if it's that concerning...

This is really good information everyone, thank you so much! Oh! And I found the cutter set you recommended.. it was the one I was looking at. Thank you so much!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%