Streaky Buttercream-Help!

Baking By creativecakemom Updated 28 Apr 2011 , 7:04pm by creativecakemom

creativecakemom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
creativecakemom Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 1:20pm
post #1 of 7

For some reason when I apply my final coating of buttercream after crumb coating it, my buttercream ends up looking streaky like it has different shades of the color I tinted it. How can I make sure it stays a solid uniform color? Thanks!

6 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 1:36pm
post #2 of 7

Well, you just have to mix/blend it more.

GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 1:55pm
post #3 of 7

Add 1/2 teasp vinegar to it, it will keep it from cracking, too. HTH. icon_smile.gif

Sassy74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassy74 Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 5:30pm
post #4 of 7

Are you smoothing it using a heated spatula/bench scraper? If you color icing, then use heat to smooth it, the heat can discolor the icing. The hotter the spatula, the more discoloration.

southerngal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerngal Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 5:30pm
post #5 of 7

this also happens when the moisture content is too high.. lower the liquid or add a few tablespoons of extra powder sugar.

creativecakemom Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 7:02pm
post #6 of 7

Actually, I mixed it very thoroughly and it still seems to streak. Is it because I tried applying it to the cake right after pulling it out of the freezer? I am so frustrated!!! Any other advice that might help?

creativecakemom Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 7:04pm
post #7 of 7

I'll try putting more powdered sugar in it and also the vinegar. Thanks so much you guys-this hasn't happened before & it's a HUGE sheet cake so I really appreciate it!! icon_redface.gifthumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%