Streaky Buttercream-Help!

Baking By creativecakemom Updated 28 Apr 2011 , 7:04pm by creativecakemom

creativecakemom Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 1:20pm
post #1 of 7

For some reason when I apply my final coating of buttercream after crumb coating it, my buttercream ends up looking streaky like it has different shades of the color I tinted it. How can I make sure it stays a solid uniform color? Thanks!

6 replies
leah_s Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 1:36pm
post #2 of 7

Well, you just have to mix/blend it more.

GI Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 1:55pm
post #3 of 7

Add 1/2 teasp vinegar to it, it will keep it from cracking, too. HTH. icon_smile.gif

Sassy74 Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 5:30pm
post #4 of 7

Are you smoothing it using a heated spatula/bench scraper? If you color icing, then use heat to smooth it, the heat can discolor the icing. The hotter the spatula, the more discoloration.

southerngal Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 5:30pm
post #5 of 7

this also happens when the moisture content is too high.. lower the liquid or add a few tablespoons of extra powder sugar.

creativecakemom Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 7:02pm
post #6 of 7

Actually, I mixed it very thoroughly and it still seems to streak. Is it because I tried applying it to the cake right after pulling it out of the freezer? I am so frustrated!!! Any other advice that might help?

creativecakemom Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 7:04pm
post #7 of 7

I'll try putting more powdered sugar in it and also the vinegar. Thanks so much you guys-this hasn't happened before & it's a HUGE sheet cake so I really appreciate it!! icon_redface.gifthumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%