The Mat.....has Anyone Used This?

Decorating By nickshalfpint Updated 1 May 2011 , 1:49pm by Gerle

nickshalfpint Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 5:17am
post #1 of 19

I was wondering if anyone has used this. It looks cool and I like that you don't have to use powdered sugar or corn starch. But I was wondering if it really worked.

18 replies
kayla1505 Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 6:02am
post #2 of 19

I have it and i love it. It really does let you roll out the fondant pretty thin. I'm thinking about buying a second one to cut into smaller pieces for when I'm working with gumpaste.

CupQuequito Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 6:15am
post #3 of 19

I get a lot of air bubbles in mine. However, I do like the ease of it.

CakeLady1981 Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 5:59pm
post #4 of 19

Does it work with homemade MMF? I want one so bad but we do not use Satin Ice or store bought fondant so I didn't know if it would stick and get messy.

Sugar_N_Spice_Cakes Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 6:08pm
post #5 of 19

I like mine, you can get the fondant really thin. I haven't used it with MMF. It takes a little more pressure to roll, but the workout is worth it. Be really careful not to get wrinkles in the vinyl. Mine cam be a real pain to roll up and fit back in the tube. I don't know if it is because I still have too much shortening from seasoning it.

dulcearoma Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 6:29pm
post #6 of 19

I love it. . I have used it with my mmf and it works great . love love love love it!!!!! It just makes applying fondant on to the cake so easy and keeps the fondant clean. Did I mention that I love it? thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

HappyCake10609 Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 6:33pm
post #7 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeLady1981

Does it work with homemade MMF? I want one so bad but we do not use or store bought fondant so I didn't know if it would stick and get messy.

I used to use MMF exclusively, when I bought The Mat I was initially disappointed with it. It left lots of "pock marks" and stuck pretty badly. I ended up using some powdered sugar on top- but not nearly as much as I would have to with out the Mat... and I got better results, but it was almost more trouble so I quit using the Mat.

Then I bought some Satin Ice because it was on a great discount from Global Sugar Art and I tried the Mat again with it and it was like magic! I LOVE the Mat now and I used it with the Satin Ice for almost every cake I do. Satin Ice also has great taste, so I now have 2 products that I love....

I have heard that some people who use MMF have had great luck with it as well... but in my experience it didn't work so great. Maybe it varies by recipe, but my recipe is fairly simple...

MissCuteCupcakes Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 7:02pm
post #8 of 19

after these good reviews, i think its time i invest in the mat also...i've seen the videos on youtube and that lady make it look so easy!

nickshalfpint Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 7:45pm
post #9 of 19

I think I'm gonna have to get one too! It always scares me when I have to lift the fondant up and put it over the cake (= I love the way it sticks to the mat!

Vanessa7 Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 8:02pm
post #10 of 19

Got mine for Christmas and LOVE LOVE LOVE IT! I use it with Michelle Foster's fondant recipe and have no trouble and it really does come off pretty easily. I use to really dread covering large cakes but now it is a dream. Like what was mentioned earlier, don't get a crease in it or it will show up on your fondant. The mat is well worth the $$!

baileysdaddy Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 8:23pm
post #11 of 19

I love the Mat, but I have 2, and you should too. I find that when I roll out red or black on it, and then later roll out white...the color transfers. So, I now have 1 mat that is for white only, and another that is for colors. icon_wink.gif

BlueberryMuffin Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 8:32pm
post #12 of 19

I absolutely LOVE my Mat! Its easy to work with and does a great job keeping the fondant from drying out while you roll it. I have to agree with some earlier posts though...it's worth getting one for white fondant only and one for colored fondant because the darker colors do tend to transfer.
I mainly use Fondex fondant but it works great with homemade MMF as well, (makes it easy to roll out very very thin) never have any problems with air bubbles, just make sure you store it right and don't get a crease in it!
icon_wink.gif

HappyCake10609 Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 8:37pm
post #13 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by baileysdaddy

I love the Mat, but I have 2, and you should too. I find that when I roll out red or black on it, and then later roll out white...the color transfers. So, I now have 1 mat that is for white only, and another that is for colors. icon_wink.gif

That's a great tip! I haven't used any dark colors with it yet, but I can see that happening, and I wouldn't want to ruin a nice white fondant! They really aren't expensive as far as cake tools go, so I think I may have to order another (or 2, because like others, I'd love to cut it up to use with gumpaste- my little Wilton board with the plastic cover doesn't have a very good seal!)

dessert1st Posted 1 May 2011 , 4:34am
post #14 of 19

I really want one... now if I can just wait until the one with measurements is released?!?!

sccandwbfan Posted 1 May 2011 , 12:24pm
post #15 of 19

I received mine for Christmas and have only used it a few times, but I like the way that you don't have to worry about tearing your fondant when you pick it up. When I went to Sweetwise one time a while ago, the man that works there (I think he's the owner with Kathy, his wife) showed me how to use the mat right there on the cashier table. I was unemployed at the time or I would have bought it. Like I said though, I got one for Christmas and I really like it. I just can't get people to order cakes with fondant on them so I can use it more.

patticake1951 Posted 1 May 2011 , 12:43pm
post #16 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar_N_Spice_Cakes

I like mine, you can get the fondant really thin. I haven't used it with MMF. It takes a little more pressure to roll, but the workout is worth it. Be really careful not to get wrinkles in the vinyl. Mine cam be a real pain to roll up and fit back in the tube. I don't know if it is because I still have too much shortening from seasoning it.

I roll mine up on a cardboard tube, like wrapping paper comes on, and then put it back in the tube. helps keep it smooth. HTH

shannonann Posted 1 May 2011 , 12:59pm
post #17 of 19

I was wondering how you clean "the mat" between uses? It looks really great.

cakegirl1973 Posted 1 May 2011 , 1:32pm
post #18 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by shannonann

I was wondering how you clean "the mat" between uses? It looks really great.

I wipe mine with a damp cloth and then wipe it really well with a dry cloth.

Gerle Posted 1 May 2011 , 1:49pm
post #19 of 19

I'm also going to purchase this. It gets great reviews and looks so easy to use. I was wondering though.....I've read where you season it with a little shortening, wipe it down with a paper towel and it's ready to go. If you then wipe it down with a damp cloth and dry it well, does it take the "seasoning" off of the mat so you have to re-do it every time, or is it still considered "seasoned"? Dumb question...but I was just wondering.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%