How Many Cake Mixes Or Cups For 1/4 Sheet Cake

Baking By tamdan Updated 29 Apr 2011 , 9:37pm by kakeladi

tamdan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tamdan Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 3:55am
post #1 of 10

Hi,

I was wondering how many boxes of cake mix would fit in a 1/4 sheet cake pan? Or if I was baking from scratch, how many cups would it be? Also how tall should a sheet cake be? I am used to making round cakes and have an order for a 1/4 sheet this weekend. TIA.

9 replies
cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 4:09am
post #2 of 10

when using a cake mix I use one full mix plus 1/3 of another. One mix just is too little. I kind of do the same on a scratch cake, I multiply the recipe by 1.33 and it works perfect. Not sure the exact cups it yields I think around 6 and 1/3 cups.

warchild Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
warchild Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 5:24am
post #3 of 10

Check the link. You'll find a baking time and batter amount chart for 2 & 3 inch pans, wedding or party servings.

http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/

One cake mix yields 4 to 5 1/2 cups of batter. Pans should only be filled 1/2 to 2/3 full. 3" deep pans should only be filled 1/2 full. Always use the recommended batter amounts and the specific baking instructions provided with your baking pan.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 3:32pm
post #4 of 10

It is hard to answer this question based on mixes, because different brands and different flavors inside of the same brands make different amounts of icing.

For a 2in tall 13x9 you need about 7 cups of batter. If you are using a white cake mix from say BC, you would need almost two cake mixes since I find that the white mix makes about 4ish cups of batter. If you are doing a chocolate cake, those tend to make a little more and rise higher so I'd say probably closer to one and a half mix.

If you use the DH Golden butter it actually makes 6 cups of batter (last time I used it) so then you would only need a little more than one mix.

The best thing to do is measure out sometime how much the different cake mixes you use make, and make a note of that. If you scratch bake then do the same for the recipes you use.

Also have you heard of the extender recipes? They bulk up a cake mix, so when you have a case where you just need a cup or so extra they are nice.

This is pretty much the one I use. http://cakecentral.com/recipes/1977/cake-mix-extender

tamdan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tamdan Posted 29 Apr 2011 , 12:07am
post #5 of 10

Thanks for the info! I went ahead and printed the wilton baking directions and placed in my recipe binder. TexasSugar thanks for the extender recipe. I saved it as my favorite. As always you're so knowledgable and helpful!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 29 Apr 2011 , 1:57pm
post #6 of 10

Glad to I could help. icon_smile.gif

cakesnglass Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesnglass Posted 29 Apr 2011 , 2:08pm
post #7 of 10

I just made the WASC recipe last night with Duncan Hines white and used 1 1/2 recipe (1box and 1/2 of the other.) Fills pan 3/4 of the way and gives a full 2" cake. Did use the Wilton 1/4 sheet pan (9/13) with wet strips. If I make DH chocolate (w few extra ingred.) I use 2 boxes.

warchild Posted 29 Apr 2011 , 9:02pm
post #8 of 10

Glad I could help also.

The Wilton cake chart was the first thing I found when trying to figure out the proper batter amounts for my pans. It was printed and stashed in my file as well. thumbs_up.gif

warchild Posted 29 Apr 2011 , 9:15pm
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesnglass

I just made the WASC recipe last night with Duncan Hines white and used 1 1/2 recipe (1box and 1/2 of the other.) Fills pan 3/4 of the way and gives a full 2" cake. Did use the Wilton 1/4 sheet pan (9/13) with wet strips. If I make DH chocolate (w few extra ingred.) I use 2 boxes.

cakesnglass, I'm just curious. What do you do with the other half of the dry mix? Does it store well once its been opened?
Thanks

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 29 Apr 2011 , 9:37pm
post #10 of 10

A 9x13 is really a 1/3 sheet cake - not a 1/4. A 1/4 is 12x8 icon_smile.gif
One cake mix will be all that's needed for a true 1/4 sheet pan.
I have found NO difference in brands. They all bake up about the same in that size pan.

warchild said: What do you do with the other half of the dry mix?........

If you use my *original* WASC recipe that is no extra 1/2 box of dry mix icon_smile.gif But also, if you prefer to make the cake using 1 and 1/2 boxes of dry mix then yes, the remaining dry mix will store in the fzr very well for up to 6 months. Just wrap it in a sealed plastic bag.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%