Huge Air Bubble Between Fondant And Cake!!

Decorating By eperales0411 Updated 29 Apr 2011 , 12:48am by eperales0411

eperales0411 Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 2:45am
post #1 of 5

Hi everyone, I hope I can get some help here. I am pretty new in the cake decorating hobby, and even newer in covering cakes with fondant. I had been pretty successful in it but the last cake I made was a small sheet cake. The cake had been cooled and then covered with fondant, I let it rest in the fridge til the next day for decorating, after I pulled the cake out and let it rest to let the condensation dry out, there was a HUGE (I mean at least 4-5 inches in diameter) air bubble. Does anyone have an idea of what could have happened?? icon_confused.gif I fixed it by making a small slit in the cake and fortunately had a fondant decoration to cover it, but still wonder what happened. Would appreciate anyone's help. icon_smile.gif

4 replies
yummy_in_my_tummy Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 2:53am
post #2 of 5

Did you have a filling? Sometimes if you fill and then put it back together, the cake doesn't settle all of the way. Then when you put the fondant on, it's heavy, and it squashes the cake down a little bit, releasing any air that was between your layers. When I tort & fill a cake, I always use a level and push on the top of the cake going all the way around it to make sure there's no air in the middle. icon_smile.gif

cakesrock Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 3:10am
post #3 of 5

Happened to me when I covered a frozen cake - maybe it was too cold? I don't keep my cakes in the fridge unless I use perishable filling (which I avoid)- it dries them out.

ApplegumPam Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 3:26am
post #4 of 5

It can happen too if you have not completely covered your cake in syrup/piping gel ?? (whatever you are using to stick your fondant) If you miss a patch it can result in an air bubble.

The latest great gadget to use on air-bubbles is an acupuncture needle!
It will make your needles/pins look like they have created craters!

eperales0411 Posted 29 Apr 2011 , 12:48am
post #5 of 5

I did not layer this cake, it was a single layer. Although my first thought was that maybe it was that the cake was too cold, but was not quite sure if this is what caused the air bubble. Thanks everyone for your replies. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%