Cake In A Cup? Ever Hear Of This?

Baking By crisseyann Updated 8 May 2011 , 8:35pm by 4realLaLa

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 2:15pm
post #31 of 63

Well our market research found nothing exactly like what I am doing or the level of how it is being done. Some similar but not on the level we are taking this. Yes very much like an ice cream yparlour. The guy in Harlem is very small scale in what he offers and not exactly fashioned the way mine will be.

Cupcake bars at catered events yes, storefronts that have the entire premise of a bar, no.

lilmissbakesalot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmissbakesalot Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 2:36pm
post #32 of 63

Interesting to say the least, but what will you do when the novelty wears off?

Not to be a downer, but there has to be some other draw, because I don't see solely cupcakes are being able to hold the attention of the consumer. Now if you will have a full service bar with your cupcakes... well then there's your pull right there.. LOL.

Claireybear1121 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claireybear1121 Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 2:37pm
post #33 of 63

There is a cup cake bar in my town. The cake flavors are horrible and the frosting tastes like lard, but it's a cupcake bar nonetheless. I've been doing this idea for my daughter's birthday parties for a decade! Lol, kids love it.

lilmissbakesalot Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 2:45pm
post #34 of 63

It's definitely not a new concept... I've heard of it before.

Sangriacupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sangriacupcake Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 3:00pm
post #35 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmissbakesalot

They are cake balls... there are (horribly poor quality) pictures if you click on the "cakes" page. They are at the bottom.

The cake balls seem to be a different product they're offering. They are labeled "little bites" on the website.

jewels710 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewels710 Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 3:05pm
post #36 of 63

Yes, I guess I am wondering what about a "Cupcake Bar" needs to be/or can be trademarked?

There are tons of cupcake bars all over America.

There is even someone on CC (cant remember who - I read it in a post) that has a coffee shop with a cupcake bar in it.

I myself have done cupcake bar parties for kids birthdays.

Am I missing something? It it a particular item or practice that is being trademarked?
Just doesnt make sense to me to trademark something that lots of other folks are doing or is it just because you can, since no one else has trademarked it?

Also, after its trademarked, for those who already have cupcake bars but never trademarked it themselves...what happens to them?

I'm Lost.

Sangriacupcake Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 3:17pm
post #37 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesdivine

Well our market research found nothing exactly like what I am doing or the level of how it is being done.

Cupcake bars at catered events yes, storefronts that have the entire premise of a bar, no.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's a fun, interactive cupcake experience. I just meant it's not big secret or anything. There are lots of storefront cupcake bars out there. And you're right, people seem to really enjoy them. I wish you success with yours!

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 3:18pm
post #38 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claireybear1121

There is a cup cake bar in my town. The cake flavors are horrible and the frosting tastes like lard, but it's a cupcake bar nonetheless. I've been doing this idea for my daughter's birthday parties for a decade! Lol, kids love it.

OMG! Do you live in the Rochester area? Cause if you do, I know exactly which store you mean. I went once - overpriced and awful!

warchild Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
warchild Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 3:31pm
post #39 of 63

I'd wonder about the novelty wearing off too. Its a great idea and I do hope it takes off, but at the same time, there seems to be an overload of cupcake shops & mobile cupcake trucks as it is. If you follow Cupcakes take the cake website/e-newsletters, theres been a few reports in the last while about cupcake shops and one cupcake truck having to close from lack of biz.

I know this is a different concept, you get to pick your own frosting, sprinkles or toppings etc but how long will that novelty last? People are always in a rush nowadays. They like to be in and out and on their way as fast as possible. I know I do.
How long will those people be willing to wait to have their personalized cake in a cup made up, when they can whip into a neighboring cupcake shop and buy a frosted cupcake with sprinkles or whatever decor, and be on their way?

Claireybear1121 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claireybear1121 Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 3:39pm
post #40 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaF144a

Quote:

OMG! Do you live in the Rochester area? Cause if you do, I know exactly which store you mean. I went once - overpriced and awful!

Linda, I do!!! It's so funny that you could know exactly where I was talking about icon_smile.gif East side of the city.

mplaidgirl2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mplaidgirl2 Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 3:41pm
post #41 of 63

Have you guys ever heard of or been to Sweet Revenge? I ts literally a cupcake BAR. She pairs all her cupcakes with the wine or beer it would taste best with.

LindaF144a Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 3:53pm
post #42 of 63
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaF144a

Quote:

Linda, I do!!! It's so funny that you could know exactly where I was talking about icon_smile.gif East side of the city.

I also hear she is struggling. I shouldn't bad mouth them though. Pretty sure I will be a direct competitor.....

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 5:00pm
post #43 of 63

I don't know about other areas but the ice cream parlor mentioned are closing many locations......too high priced and the novelty has worn off.

lilmissbakesalot Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 6:02pm
post #44 of 63

Not to mention the crappy ice cream base they use is so full of gums to give it its texture you can feel them in your mouth. Seriously... it's SO artificial. It doesn't feel like melting cream it feels like airy, sweet slime, and there's no real flavor. Blergh!

Cold Stone is a great concept... but the mass marketing really dumbed down the product.

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 7:48pm
post #45 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesdivine

I was about to have a hissy! I have been working on opening Cupcakes Divine, The Original Cupcake Bar for almost a year now. We have plans of having multiple locations corporately and franchise opportunities across the country soon after our 3rd corporate store opens. I have been very hush hush about this idea because there is nothing like it anywhere (that I know of).

The only reason I am even talking about it now is because we are opening in a few weeks. The trademark is being filed early next week.

At any rate I was thinking I had been scooped!...LOL!

I hate to burst your bubble, but this is not an original idea, infact we have one here in my state. It goes by another name, but it is exactly the same concept. I've also he And yes, it's s storefrong. It's also not uncommon for cupcake bars to be at weddings or birthday parties. Who did the research for you, because I'm surprised they missed this.

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 8:07pm
post #46 of 63
lilmissbakesalot Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 8:12pm
post #47 of 63

LMAO!! That was hilarious!

I think most could be said for cakes on the whole... LOL!

thumbs_up.gif

LindaF144a Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 8:18pm
post #48 of 63

Isn't trademarking a cupcake bar like trying to trademark sneakers? I mean you can trademark "cupcake bar" probably, but the whole concept thing? I doubt it. Otherwise there would only be one grocery store chain. But hey, I'm not a lawyer. But my son is going to school to be one. I'll ask him when I get the chance.

I wish you all the luck. I too have been in discussion to franchise my cake shop concept after I get all the bugs ironed out. I'll keep an eye out for your franchise when it become available.

Paperfishies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Paperfishies Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 9:21pm
post #49 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccr03

For those with a sense of humor....or seeking the truth icon_wink.gif

http://happysugarbakingland.typepad.com/happy-sugar-baking-land/2011/04/how-to-start-a-cupcake-business.html

OMG, that's soooo funny.

I watch cupcake wars sometimes but the French guy kills me. I just want to scream "IT'S A DAMN CUPCAKE NOT A MONET PAINTING!!!"

Paperfishies Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 9:28pm
post #50 of 63

I've read quite a few articles lately that have stated bakeries and cupcakeries are some of the only places doing well while our economy has been in the crapper.

Reasons why...

#1. good food, especially sweets make people happy.

#2. Everyone can afford a $3.00 cupcake

#3. things from bakeries and cupcakeries are often impulse buys...ones that people can afford. You are on your way home from work, had a crappy day and ohhhhh you pass a dessert shop. Plopping down $3 or $4 dollars for something yummy is easier done that going to saks and buying a $500 handbag.

#4. Because of the economy, rising gas prices, job loss people are depressed. What do people do when they're depressed? They eat foods that aren't good for them.

warchild Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 9:37pm
post #51 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccr03

For those with a sense of humor....or seeking the truth icon_wink.gif

http://happysugarbakingland.typepad.com/happy-sugar-baking-land/2011/04/how-to-start-a-cupcake-business.html

Lol! Thats what you call hitting the nail right on the head!

warchild Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 9:57pm
post #52 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperfishies

I've read quite a few articles lately that have stated bakeries and cupcakeries are some of the only places doing well while our economy has been in the crapper.

Reasons why...

#3. things from bakeries and cupcakeries are often impulse buys...ones that people can afford. You are on your way home from work, had a crappy day and ohhhhh you pass a dessert shop. Plopping down $3 or $4 dollars for something yummy is easier done that going to saks and buying a $500 handbag.

#4. Because of the economy, rising gas prices, job loss people are depressed. What do people do when they're depressed? They eat foods that aren't good for them.

Oooh I'm the opposite then.

#1. good food, especially gyro's make me happy.

#2. I'll pay up to $4 for a gyro, but not $3 for a cupcake.
But, make that a Neopolitan and I will!

#3. things from gyro shops and extreme pita shops are often impulse buys...ones that people can afford. You are on your way home from work, had a crappy day and ohhhhh you pass a gyro shop! Plopping down $3 or $4 dollars for something yummy is easier done that going to saks and buying a $500 handbag.

#4. Because of the economy, rising gas prices, job loss people are depressed. What do people do when they're depressed? They eat Gyro's that are sooooo good for them!

icon_biggrin.gif

Paperfishies Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 10:03pm
post #53 of 63

I used to love gyro's until I worked in a gyro shop in high school. Never again! lol

Sangriacupcake Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 10:09pm
post #54 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by warchild

Quote:

Reasons why...

#3. things from gyro shops and extreme pita shops are often impulse buys...ones that people can afford. You are on your way home from work, had a crappy day and ohhhhh you pass a gyro shop! Plopping down $3 or $4 dollars for something yummy is easier done that going to saks and buying a $500 handbag.

#4. Because of the economy, rising gas prices, job loss people are depressed. What do people do when they're depressed? They eat Gyro's that are sooooo good for them!

icon_biggrin.gif

heehee Maybe you were being sarcastic, but I love gyros, too!! Real Greek ones from a Greek vendor. mmmmm I want one now.

I guess everybody has their little impulse buys.

warchild Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 11:19pm
post #55 of 63
Quote:

I used to love gyro's until I worked in a gyro shop in high school. Never again! lol

Ooh, I'd be in heaven if I worked in a gyro shop! Just think of how many I could eat in a single day!!! icon_razz.gif

warchild Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 11:30pm
post #56 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangriacupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by warchild

Quote:

Reasons why...

icon_biggrin.gif

heehee Maybe you were being sarcastic, but I love gyros, too!! Real Greek ones from a Greek vendor. mmmmm I want one now.

I guess everybody has their little impulse buys.

Haha, yes, I was just being cheeky. But, I'd still buy a gyro over a cupcake though. Add some extra Greek sprinkles and I'd buy two!! thumbs_up.gif

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 11:54pm
post #57 of 63

Trademarking the NAME/LOGO not the concept, you can't trademark an idea.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 29 Apr 2011 , 1:27am
post #58 of 63

Me too cakesdivine. Sometime it's not worth the explanation. Good grief!

LindaF144a Posted 29 Apr 2011 , 1:31am
post #59 of 63

Sorry, I was one of those that thought you were trademarking the concept. I guess we all got confused with the saying the original cupcake bar seeing there are so many around.

JustGettinStarted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustGettinStarted Posted 5 May 2011 , 1:58am
post #60 of 63

cakesdivine, I have to say I love the idea (even if it is similar to other ideas). For me, the novelty wouldn't wear off. Heck, I do my own baking, but if I could come to a shop like that for one cupcake, even better! Good luck! Can't wait to hear full details!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%