How Do I Get A Dense Heavy Chocolate Cake?

Baking By Bleighva Updated 3 May 2011 , 11:31pm by Bleighva

Bleighva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bleighva Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 12:36am
post #1 of 6

I have tried making my chocolate cakes the same way that i make my other flavor cakes but i can't get it as dense as the others for some reason. I use a box mix and add in 1/4 flour and 2 tbsp meringue powder. All my other cakes come out moist, heavy and more dense and while my chocolate is more dense the it would be if i would just do the box with no additions it is not as dense as other flavors. Why???? Anybody have any suggestions? I also have tried it with adding instant pudding as well to the other additions but its still not as heavy and dense as i want. I am looking for a good heavy, dense, carving friendly chocolate recipe.

5 replies
emiyeric Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emiyeric Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 12:54am
post #2 of 6

I absolutely swear by Macsmom's chocolate WASC. As a matter of fact, I go by her old Hot Cocoa cake recipe (which is no longer on the Google doc, for some reason), but it's very similar to the chocolate WASC. I use dark chocolate fudge cake mix for the base (not milk chocolate), and I do the same with the pudding mixes ... I'm generally not a fan of chocolate cakes because they're never rich and dense enough for me, but this one is fabulous with ganache. I carve most of my cakes, and this is my go-to chocolate recipe. Look it up under the "Gourmet Flavors" thread, in the google doc. HTH!

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 12:55am
post #3 of 6

I use the Amazing Chocolate cake recipe on here - it's a version of the box extender cake recipe, but I also add 1/4 cup of chocolate syrup. It's very dense and moist.

JulieMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieMN Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 2:58am
post #4 of 6

I use the Chocolate WASC version by MacsMom found here.....
http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=df4f9hbq_46cs9f28fs

My family & friends LOVE this. thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Bleighva Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 3:12am
post #5 of 6

Thanks you guys for the advice, i will give these a try! Is there a difference between cake flour and AP flour?[/b]

Bleighva Posted 3 May 2011 , 11:31pm
post #6 of 6

JulieMN-
I followed this link and I can see all the ingredients of the macsmom chocolate cake but no directions......??? also is there a difference between AP flour and cake flour?
Thanks

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%