How To Make Black Icing

Baking By bethie713 Updated 29 Apr 2011 , 7:42pm by bethie713

bethie713 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethie713 Posted 27 Apr 2011 , 11:51pm
post #1 of 11

I had read somewhere that you can make black icing with Americolor Super Black Soft Gel Food Color, however, I'm just getting a dark gray. Is this the darkest my icing will get? I really need a true black. Any of you out there had success in getting your icing a true BLACK? Or should I just buy black icing? Please HELP![/b]

10 replies
sarahb2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahb2004 Posted 27 Apr 2011 , 11:57pm
post #2 of 11

Are you starting with just regular BC or chocolate? If you are using just plain you may want to try chocolate so it starts out darker making it easier to achieve a darker black.......also the longer you let it sit the color should develop darker.

HTH!

bethie713 Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 12:01am
post #3 of 11

I started out using regular recipe for the icing. Does this mean I should add some cocoa to it to help turn black?

chrissypie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrissypie Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 12:32am
post #4 of 11

i never found that using chocolate helped either, it just looks muddy. I always buy the stupid wilton stuff in a tube and cut the end off and squeeze into a pastry bad. Black is just to annoying to try and make

sarahb2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahb2004 Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 2:52am
post #5 of 11

You can look up a chocolate buttercream recipe, I think there is more required than just cocoa. But, like pp said some people do not have luck with chocolate, but it seems to work better for me. icon_biggrin.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 3:39pm
post #6 of 11

The idea of using chocolate is because you are starting with a darker base of icing. It goes along the lines of using pink icing to make red. I just made black from chocolate a couple of weekends ago, and didn't have any problems making it. But I wouldn't make chocolate just to color it black. That day I was using chocolate icing on the cake anyway.

I have better luck making dark colors when using smaller amount of icing. I can get a half of a cup or a cup of icing a dark color a lot easier, and since I only try to do small amounts of those colors on cakes that is all I need.

Color your using to a deep gray and it sit for an hour or so. If it doesn't deepen up to the color you want, add in some more color and let it sit again. The colors in buttercream do darken over time. Also, even though it is Americolor Super black, you will still need a good amount of coloring. Keep adding, you will get there. icon_smile.gif

AngelFood4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelFood4 Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 4:18pm
post #7 of 11

letting the the icing sit overnight does the trick. Like TexasSugar, I've only made dark colored icing a cup at a time. I've made red, black, and hot pink. Make them 1-2 days prior to give the color time to darken and intensify.

Paige_Pittman86 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Paige_Pittman86 Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 4:30pm
post #8 of 11

When i make black for something that im using just to do some piping or something like that i just take piping gel turn it black then add a little icing to it.. but if im trying to make black for something large i add all the colors i can think of before i add any black like dark blue purple brown any dark colors i have on hand. Also i add some of the liquid coloring in place of water to my icing that helps as well..

Reyna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Reyna Posted 29 Apr 2011 , 6:42pm
post #9 of 11

iCING JUST NEEDS TO SET FOR A WHILE IT WILL GET AS DARK AS CAN BE. (IF YOU USE ENOUGH)

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 29 Apr 2011 , 6:46pm
post #10 of 11

Thanks, great info!!!

bethie713 Posted 29 Apr 2011 , 7:42pm
post #11 of 11

I totally agree! Thanks to all of you!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%