Mini Cakes From A Sheet Cake?

Decorating By Rochelle_143 Updated 29 Apr 2011 , 2:33pm by FromScratchSF

Rochelle_143 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rochelle_143 Posted 27 Apr 2011 , 11:51pm
post #1 of 10

I have a friend who wants me to make 3 cakes for her baby shower. She wants a strawberry poke cake, a German chocolate and a pineapple carrot cake. She wants them made as sheet cakes and then cut into bite size pieces and then individually frosted. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to do this? And is it possible with these types of cakes?
Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

9 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 1:28am
post #2 of 10

Yes..These are what is called Petit fours (sp)..small individual cut cakes.You can bake a sheet cake and use a deep cookie cutter to cut the shapes out and then use poured fondant overtop to ice as you will never be able to ice them by hand as they are too small and tedious.They are alot of work so be prepared....

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 2:30am
post #4 of 10

CWR41, while I was looking for it, you found it and posted it! Great minds in synch, huh? But, no kidding, this is definitely the video you need to watch if you're going to be making a lot of petit fours.

Rochelle_143 Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 5:09pm
post #5 of 10

Thanks for your help, I appreciate it. Just a couple more questions. She has a specific frosting to go with each one, is it possible to thin out cream cheese frosting or coconut pecan frosting to make them pourable? Or do I have to do them each individually? Or is the task just insurmountable? Should I offer to do cupcakes instead?

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 6:31pm
post #6 of 10

Pourable fondant has a different consistency to other frostings, so I don't know if this would work, and especially not with frostings that have chunks of things in them, like coconut pecan (which sounds so delicious, I'm drooling as we speak!). How's your time frame on this? Would you have time to experiment with a few small batches of your thinned-down frostings and a small sheet cake? Now that I've thought about it for a minute, I think the corn syrup in the fondant is what gives it its peculiar consistency. You might try working some into your other frostings if you can get around to exprimenting before the shower.

Rochelle_143 Posted 29 Apr 2011 , 5:46am
post #7 of 10

I do have a couple of weeks to do some test cakes. I even have a couple of family members with birthdays between now and then so there's an excuse to make them. Thanks for your suggestions icon_smile.gif

Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 29 Apr 2011 , 12:00pm
post #8 of 10
Quote:

Great video - some good tips in there.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 29 Apr 2011 , 12:04pm
post #9 of 10

I think what your friend is asking for sounds really time-consuming and difficult. When I've made mini cakes, I was never satisfied with the poured fondant look and ended up using rolled fondant, which made it take about 6 hours to do 18 little cakes.

Unless you can charge her an arm and a leg for the mini cakes, I'd suggest cupcakes.

And strawberry poke cake will probably be too soft to cut into cubes.

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 29 Apr 2011 , 2:33pm
post #10 of 10

No opinion other then the petit four icing on the Mahalo website is terrible - I've tried making it several times and it's total fail. What's posted must not be what's included with the video. I played around with several poured fondant recipes and by far the best tasting and easiest to work with is Martha Stewart's recipe (I tried Rose Levie Bernbaum, Toba Garrett, and 3 others from cook books I have here - no bueno).

It's not really making/filling the cake that is tricky, its making the icing, keeping it the correct temperature, and pouring a smooth consistency to make it all uniform.

Anyway, here's the recipe, try making a batch and you'll see what I mean.

http://www.marthastewart.com/254669/petits-fours-icing

Good luck,

Jen

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%