Fruit In A Cake

Decorating By CakeMixCakery Updated 27 Apr 2011 , 11:31pm by JanH

CakeMixCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMixCakery Posted 27 Apr 2011 , 11:10pm
post #1 of 6

When you fill a cake with strawberries, how do you keep the strawberries from bleeding out? I have noticed a few times when i have made a cake with fresh strawberries in it, the strawberries bleed out and it ends up at the bottom of the cake and around the cake board.

Do i cut them and let them sit for a while?

5 replies
knd118 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knd118 Posted 27 Apr 2011 , 11:16pm
post #2 of 6

i have made a few cakes with with fresh strawberries. I use thick buttercream and border the cake off first to create a dam and then add my filling in the middle. I have never had a problem with it. Hope this helps icon_smile.gif

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 27 Apr 2011 , 11:24pm
post #3 of 6

Here is a link to a CC thread about using a buttercream dam (damn is what you say when you don't make the dam).

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-6976492-.html&sid=9ffa7bb0a006fa31b575984e119da359

We use a buttercream dam anytime there is a non-buttercream filling (fresh fruit, jam, etc).

knd118 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knd118 Posted 27 Apr 2011 , 11:24pm
post #4 of 6

oh i do cut the strawberries first and let them sit on a towl for a bit too.

CakeMixCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMixCakery Posted 27 Apr 2011 , 11:28pm
post #5 of 6

I do use a Dam, and yes i have said Damn when i dont! LOL
I will cutting them, and letting them sit out for a bit before i put them in the cake. Thank you!

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 27 Apr 2011 , 11:31pm
post #6 of 6

I haven't tried this myself - I use the dam method.

However, another CC'er advised that she actually created a depression for her filling by removing cake starting 1/2" (I think) from the edges.

I can't remember how deep, I guess as deep as you wanted the filling to be.

Just another option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qtkaylassweets

I also remove part of the inside of the cake. I cut a circle right in the middle of the cake, take out maybe 1/2 inch of cake and put the filling in there. This way, nothing has a chance to leak out because it is surrounded by a dam of cake.

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-2292351.html#2292351

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%