Has Anyone Ever Changed Their Name?

Business By Cascades Updated 15 May 2011 , 11:14pm by tripleD

Cascades Posted 27 Apr 2011 , 8:04pm
post #1 of 12

I hate my name, and since I am working on a whole new website, I was thinking about changing it. Has anyone of you ever changed your name and if you did, do you think it hurt you or benefited you?

I don't know what my new name would be, but I do know that every time I answer the phone "Cascades Cakes" it's just doesn't feel right. I know I'm crazy....

11 replies
sweetlayers Posted 27 Apr 2011 , 8:29pm
post #2 of 12

Your name is the most important part of branding your business. If you and your clients feel it's not telling your company's story the right way, then you should change it. However, before you change it, perhaps you can poll your clients or your fb friends and ask them what they like better and why.

CakeMixCakery Posted 27 Apr 2011 , 8:42pm
post #3 of 12

We changed out business name. It was honestly a really good decision on our part. Your business name is important and you have to LOVE it. If you don't like it, than find something you do like!

cakesdivine Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 3:35am
post #4 of 12

I did years ago. In the late 80's my business was called Cakes Etc. After about 5 years of having that name another baker (who was unlicensed and doing it from their home, big no-no here in Texas) started using the same name in my same neighborhood! I had a comm kitchen I worked from at the time. Well they were really bad and they way they were able to get a dba in the same county was they put a comma between the two words so the computer didn't recognize it. When I got a call from an angry client yelling at me about a cake that I didn't do and the other person did do, I changed my name to Cakes Divine. Best thing I ever did!

indydebi Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 4:47am
post #5 of 12

I have a friend who changed the name of his photography biz. he also had a new marketing plan and new direction that he was taking his biz. His biz skyrocketed!!!!

It can be risky .... it can pay off. I think the key is how its handled, communicated and marketed.

I say go for it.

Sugarflowers Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 5:10am
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesdivine

I did years ago. In the late 80's my business was called Cakes Etc. After about 5 years of having that name another baker (who was unlicensed and doing it from their home, big no-no here in Texas) started using the same name in my same neighborhood! I had a comm kitchen I worked from at the time. Well they were really bad and they way they were able to get a dba in the same county was they put a comma between the two words so the computer didn't recognize it. When I got a call from an angry client yelling at me about a cake that I didn't do and the other person did do, I changed my name to Cakes Divine. Best thing I ever did!

That's interesting. My first cake business name was Party Cakes, Etc. When I opened a shop I changed the name to The Sugar Fix. It was a great decision.

Michele

Cascades Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 5:36am
post #7 of 12

Thanks guys for the input. I just can't help but feel if I don't feel comfortable with the name, well I might somehow project that same feeling to my customers. With the revamping of the website, comes an opportunity for the change.

MimiFix Posted 29 Apr 2011 , 6:24pm
post #8 of 12

Michele wrote: That's interesting. My first cake business name was Party Cakes, Etc. When I opened a shop I changed the name to The Sugar Fix. It was a great decision.

Greetings Sugar Fix! So you're the one who took that domain name!! Nice to meet you.

My name is Mimi Fix and years ago, pre-internet, I began a culinary consulting business, The Sugar Fix. In 2009, after I wrote Start & Run a Home-Based Food Business I decided to start a website but someone already had my first choice name. I changed my business name to Baking Fix.

More fitting, actually...

justducky Posted 29 Apr 2011 , 11:12pm
post #9 of 12

Yes I did change my name. On IndyDeb's advice. It was more appropriate to what I do. Since then business has steadily picked up.

Last Saturday I opened a storefront. The reception in the community has been overwhelming.

So, yes yes yes. Change it if it does not feel right!

(or if Deb tells you to icon_biggrin.gif )

Annabakescakes Posted 15 May 2011 , 10:44pm
post #10 of 12

I changed mine too. I had Graceful Tiers, because my middle name is Grace and Anna means "full of grace" but there is a hideous cake stand Wilton makes called Graceful Tiers and it totally turned me off the name. I have had i for a couple years and had card and car magnets made (before I knew it was illegal! lol)

But now I am something else...but I want to put a trademark on it first...

scp1127 Posted 15 May 2011 , 10:58pm
post #11 of 12

I agree with Debi, it needs to be a business change, not just a name. And you need to convey the change to your customers in a positive way... better, new direction, etc.

tripleD Posted 15 May 2011 , 11:14pm
post #12 of 12

When I was doing cakes out of my home I was triple D Delights. I also had a mobile concession stand that went by the same name. I opened my cake shop and changed the name to 3-D Cakery. It told more of what I do. I kept thinking if I put a big sign out in front of my shop (triple D Delights) Men might be stopping thinking It was a strip club and looking for pole dancers.
My husband agreed he said all he thought was Triple D's.lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%