Cellophane And Fondant

Decorating By MissCuteCupcakes Updated 30 Apr 2011 , 3:01pm by tiggy2

MissCuteCupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissCuteCupcakes Posted 27 Apr 2011 , 7:53pm
post #1 of 11

This past weekend I covered a cake drum with contact paper and then covered it with food-safe cellophane (the same one that is usually used for food baskets)

After covering the board, I proceeded to add fondant lettering to the board on top of the cellophane....but the fondant would not stick. I use to use a plane foil colored cake drum and never had problems with the fondant letters sticking - I would just use some water and they would stay with no problems.

But I noticed that the fondant will not stick to the cellophane.

Is there another way or some type of edible glue I can use to make the letters stay put?

TIA

10 replies
Sparklekat6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sparklekat6 Posted 27 Apr 2011 , 8:05pm
post #2 of 11

Maybe an egg wash? Although I am sure there will be some people who would just die over the threat of salmonella.

debbief Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbief Posted 27 Apr 2011 , 8:43pm
post #3 of 11

That's odd that the fondant won't stick to the cellophane. Usually you can get fondant to stick to anything with a little water. Maybe try making some edible glue out of water and a little tylose powder.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 27 Apr 2011 , 10:56pm
post #4 of 11

Try shortening or piping gel

MissCuteCupcakes Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 1:05pm
post #5 of 11

thanks, i'll give these a try today. The piping gel might be tacky enough to work

debbief, is there a certain ratio i need to use for the tylose and water? or do i make a semi-thick paste?

tiggy2 Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 1:23pm
post #6 of 11

Edible glu needs to sit in fridge over night before using

debbief Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbief Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 2:32pm
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggy2

Edible glu needs to sit in fridge over night before using

Learn something new everyday. I've never heard that nor have I ever done it and it's always worked fine for me. However, I have learned that it needs to be stored in the refrigerator.

Quote:
Quote:

debbief, is there a certain ratio i need to use for the tylose and water? or do i make a semi-thick paste?

I don't really use an exact ratio, I just eyeball it really. I usually fill one of those little plastic condiment type containers 1/4 full with water then sprinkle a little tylose powder in it and stir well. It thickens pretty quick so just do a little at a time until you get the consistency you're looking for.

Although, I really like the shortening idea that Tiggy2 suggested. I think that would make the letters stick to the board enough so they are not sliding around or falling off and that's really all you need right?

gramof5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gramof5 Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 2:48pm
post #8 of 11

I did a zebra stripe cake board last week (used gift wrap)and covered that with food safe cello. I put the fondant letters on with piping gel like the other poster and it worked.

MissCuteCupcakes Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 3:09pm
post #9 of 11

thanks for all the tips! icon_surprised.gif)

MissCuteCupcakes Posted 30 Apr 2011 , 2:34pm
post #10 of 11

well, i must say the piping gel trick is awesome! i used it last night on my princess tiana cake and it worked like a charm. i woke up this morning and all the letters are stuck in place! thank you again!

tiggy2 Posted 30 Apr 2011 , 3:01pm
post #11 of 11

Glad it worked for you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%