Cake Cracking - Please Help

Decorating By HG0265 Updated 27 Apr 2011 , 8:11pm by HG0265

HG0265 Posted 27 Apr 2011 , 6:56pm
post #1 of 5

I'm making my first 4 tier wedding cake for delivery this w/end (not the royal wedding!!!) - 6" fruit, 8", 10" & 12" sponge. I covered them with sugarpaste/fondant this afternoon and have just stacked the 8", 10" & 12" cakes and the fondant on the bottom tier, 12" is cracking. I'm worried the cakes are going to sink. Shall I leave the cakes as they are for tonight and see if they settle or shall I remove the bottom tier and start again? I'm so worried, I really don't want the whole thing collapsing when delivering the cake.

4 replies
TexasSugar Posted 27 Apr 2011 , 7:15pm
post #2 of 5

Are you using supports such as dowels?

HG0265 Posted 27 Apr 2011 , 7:31pm
post #3 of 5

Thanks for replying TexasSugar. I'm so worried. Yes I am. I've used 9 wooden dowels in the 12". Just to let you know this cake had sunk in the middle when I took it out of the oven, but I levelled it with buttercream. Do you think this is the problem? Also, do you think if it doesn't move anymore tonight, it'll be ok for delivery. Dont know wether to just bake a new 12" cake and start again or hope this one will be ok. I've still got the 6" fruit cake to go on top.

TexasSugar Posted 27 Apr 2011 , 7:58pm
post #4 of 5

Did you torte (cake the cake in half) after it came out of the oven? Sinking in the middle after it comes out of the oven can be a sign of under baked. With the 12in the outsides will bake faster and can appear done, but the center may not be baked enough. Are they two inch or three inch pans? Did you use a heating core?

HG0265 Posted 27 Apr 2011 , 8:11pm
post #5 of 5

Yes I did torte it. I used 3" pans and didnt use a heating core. I wrapped the tin with a damp towel around it. The bottom tier is chocolate cake so hard to tell if it's uncooked. When I checked by sticking a knife in the middle, there were only a few crumbs on it. I think I'm going to re-bake this cake and start again. I really dont want it to collapse when delivering.

Quote by @%username% on %date%