Black Fondant Best Way To Make It?

Decorating By brian1974 Updated 27 Apr 2011 , 7:18pm by Kellbella

brian1974 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brian1974 Posted 27 Apr 2011 , 6:32pm
post #1 of 3

Hi,

Usually I but Satin Ice Balck Fondant, however I dont have the time this week so i need to use what i have,
I need to cover a 10 inch cake in black fondant.

I have White satin ice fondant,
I also have Americolor Black Gel Color, and also i have americolor Black Airbrush color.
The problems i have had in the past is that to get such a deep color (red being
anothe problem one) I have found the fondant gets over satuated and becomes too sticky and tears easy.
Will it be better to
Airbrush layers of black onto the covered cake
Or Color the fondant to a grey with the black gel color and then airbrush
or just use gel color?

Thanks

2 replies
Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 27 Apr 2011 , 7:10pm
post #2 of 3

If you can airbrush it, I'd definitely go with that. It gives a nice dark color and covers well. If you just have to color the fondant yourself, there is one little trick: start with brown fondant (chocolate would be yummy!). You don't have to put nearly as much black into brown color as you do into white. Also, if you have even a little bit of black Satin Ice left over, by all means blend it in, too. Every little bit helps!

Kellbella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellbella Posted 27 Apr 2011 , 7:18pm
post #3 of 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianna46

If you can airbrush it, I'd definitely go with that. It gives a nice dark color and covers well. If you just have to color the fondant yourself, there is one little trick: start with brown fondant (chocolate would be yummy!). You don't have to put nearly as much black into brown color as you do into white. Also, if you have even a little bit of black left over, by all means blend it in, too. Every little bit helps!

I was thinking the same thing...use chocolate fondant and then color that black!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%