Cake Freshness

Decorating By aggieflu Updated 27 Apr 2011 , 6:09pm by Marianna46

aggieflu Posted 27 Apr 2011 , 5:03pm
post #1 of 2

I am making both a grooms cake and a wedding cake for my sister's wedding next weekend. I will be baking the cakes this weekend, which I will freezer until I'm ready to decorate. However, I am also in the wedding, which is also at my home, so I am trying to figure out how long the cakes will stay fresh once covered in Fondant. The wedding is on Saturday and I would like to try to finish them on Thursday. Does anyone have an opinion if they will stay fresh that long or not? They will both be completely covered in fondant, so I don't think I would be able to put them back in the refrigerator once I cover them.

1 reply
Marianna46 Posted 27 Apr 2011 , 6:09pm
post #2 of 2

They'll stay fresh that long and longer, about a week at least. Fondant is a great sealer! If your cake has no perishable ingredients, don't worry about putting your cake back in the fridge after it's done, unless you're going to put it in a box and wrap the box airtight in plastic wrap. Otherwise, when it comes out of the fridge, the condensation will ruin your fondant, especially if you live in a humid place where it would take a long time for the condensation to dry (like where I live!). If you refrigerate it in a box, you can take the whole thing out and not unwrap it until the cake comes to room temp and the condensation on the box dries. But that's for future reference - I don't think you need to do it this time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%