What's Your Favorite Cake Support?

Decorating By MelaMang75 Updated 29 Apr 2011 , 1:09am by Jenniferkay

MelaMang75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MelaMang75 Posted 27 Apr 2011 , 2:50pm
post #1 of 26

I've been looking at topics today on support for stacked cakes, but I would love an overall consensus of what you all like the best. I've loved using Wilton's plastic rowels, but the price has raised so considerably, that I would love something cheaper yet just as reliable. Would love to hear everyone else's opinion icon_biggrin.gif

25 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 27 Apr 2011 , 2:57pm
post #2 of 26

SPS!

Easy, cheap, sturdy. What more could you ask for?

mplaidgirl2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mplaidgirl2 Posted 27 Apr 2011 , 3:14pm
post #3 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelaMang75

I've been looking at topics today on support for stacked cakes, but I would love an overall consensus of what you all like the best. I've loved using Wilton's plastic rowels, but the price has raised so considerably, that I would love something cheaper yet just as reliable. Would love to hear everyone else's opinion icon_biggrin.gif

I love wiltons platic rods for 3 tier cakes.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 27 Apr 2011 , 4:30pm
post #4 of 26

I like the wilton smooth edge plates and the fat Hidden pillars..Also cheap and easy...

cakedout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedout Posted 27 Apr 2011 , 5:14pm
post #5 of 26

SPS! icon_biggrin.gif

Recently, however, I've gone back to the old-style dowel rod version. Generally I've used those "Cake Jacks" (plastic, screw-type adjustable dowels) in the last 25 years, but just bought a new style of hollow plastic dowels from CK Products. Guess they are kinda like the Wilton ones, so we'll see how I like those. icon_smile.gif

bellalex Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bellalex Posted 27 Apr 2011 , 5:43pm
post #6 of 26

What is SPS?

caferock05 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caferock05 Posted 27 Apr 2011 , 6:02pm
post #7 of 26

Is It "sturdy plastic straws" ? Just a guess.. I too am curious about SPS

joycesdaughter111 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joycesdaughter111 Posted 27 Apr 2011 , 6:12pm
post #8 of 26

SPS is a cake support system by bakery crafts. You can buy it online at Sugarcraft. thumbs_up.gif

cai0311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cai0311 Posted 27 Apr 2011 , 6:12pm
post #9 of 26

SPS stands for Single Plate Separator. It is similar to the Wilton plastic plate and rod support but better.

I just use bubble tea straws. Sturdy and really, really inexpensive.

joycesdaughter111 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joycesdaughter111 Posted 27 Apr 2011 , 6:14pm
post #10 of 26

Google "SPS cake support system" and it should come up.

MAMAWOF4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MAMAWOF4 Posted 27 Apr 2011 , 6:15pm
post #11 of 26

Wilton Separator Plate System - consists of round smooth or scalloped edge plates to the exact size of your cake - then you buy the Hidden Pillars (6" tall but you can cut them to size) Plates have 4 cross shaped bumps (for lack of a better word) on the bottom of them. Use the plate to lightly mark top of cake you are stacking onto. Then insert rods at marks. Remove rods and cut to length - re-insert. Leave rods intact for transport and set up. I will carry 2 tiers stacked together and add any other tiers at venue. They go together in seconds and are very sturdy. I am not an expert, but that is how I use them. HTH

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 27 Apr 2011 , 6:21pm
post #12 of 26

Thanks to leah_s for telling CC about SPS. I've tried it and I won't go back!

caferock05 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caferock05 Posted 27 Apr 2011 , 6:24pm
post #13 of 26

Thanks you for the info ladies!

ConfectionsCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConfectionsCC Posted 27 Apr 2011 , 6:28pm
post #14 of 26

Leah, where do you find your SPS supplies? I can't find them cheaper than the wilton! I use the Wilton plastic dowels, and I stock up at hobby lobby when they go on sale at 30% off!

CakeItGood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeItGood Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 2:33am
post #15 of 26

As much as I love the SPS sytem, I have trouble with the ring around the base of the grecian pillars (the ones that you push into the cake). Every time I try to push the pillars into the cake it completely mushes the cake. I have tried the Wilton plastic pillars combined with the SPS plates, and that is a great system ... and yet I would LOVE to get a more snug fit by using the SPS pillars. Does anyone else have this problem?

The SPS plates are awesome and I want to get this worked out .... I must be doing something wrong? Do I need to "core" the area where the grecian pillars will go before pushing them in? Do other have this same trouble? It just doesn't seem to go in as neatly as the Wilton plastic dowel rods, and I hate to squish a perfectly good cake icon_wink.gif Thanks!

CakeItGood Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 2:34am
post #16 of 26

Also we struggle to cut the Wilton dowel rods each time - we have used knives and pvc pipe cutters. Anyone have tips/tricks for a straight & neat cut on those?

cathyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyscakes Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 2:49am
post #17 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4bugzinarug

As much as I love the SPS sytem, I have trouble with the ring around the base of the grecian pillars (the ones that you push into the cake). Every time I try to push the pillars into the cake it completely mushes the cake. I have tried the Wilton plastic pillars combined with the SPS plates, and that is a great system ... and yet I would LOVE to get a more snug fit by using the SPS pillars. Does anyone else have this problem?

The SPS plates are awesome and I want to get this worked out .... I must be doing something wrong? Do I need to "core" the area where the grecian pillars will go before pushing them in? Do other have this same trouble? It just doesn't seem to go in as neatly as the Wilton plastic dowel rods, and I hate to squish a perfectly good cake icon_wink.gif Thanks!

Just wondering if you are removing the ring, I pop the ring off, and don't have any problems.

cake_whisperer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake_whisperer Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 3:14am
post #18 of 26

bubble tea straws are super cheap! You can find them at most Asian supermarkets... also I use large breed dog nail clippers to cut wooden dowels- clean cut and super easy!

Kristie925 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kristie925 Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 3:29am
post #19 of 26

Used my Cake Stacker for the first time, it rocks!!
Still use wooden dowels on smaller cakes. But, I did use the bubble tea straws for the first time a week or so ago. They seemed to do just fine.

Katiebelle74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katiebelle74 Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 3:36am
post #20 of 26

not cheap but saves me time and money on dowelling/cutting etc... Love my cake stackers system.

leah_s Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 3:41am
post #21 of 26

[quote="4bugzinarug"]As much as I love the SPS sytem, I have trouble with the ring around the base of the grecian pillars (the ones that you push into the cake). Every time I try to push the pillars into the cake it completely mushes the cake. I have tried the Wilton plastic pillars combined with the SPS plates, and that is a great system ... and yet I would LOVE to get a more snug fit by using the SPS pillars. Does anyone else have this problem?

The SPS plates are awesome and I want to get this worked out .... I must be doing something wrong? Do I need to "core" the area where the grecian pillars will go before pushing them in? Do other have this same trouble? It just doesn't seem to go in as neatly as the Wilton plastic dowel rods, and I hate to squish a perfectly good cake icon_wink.gif Thanks![/quote]

I think you may have missed the part of the instructions that said "Pop off the collars around the legs." Those collars are not used for stacked cakes - only for cakes with separations.

leah_s Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 3:43am
post #22 of 26

[quote="4bugzinarug"]Also we struggle to cut the Wilton dowel rods each time - we have used knives and pvc pipe cutters. Anyone have tips/tricks for a straight & neat cut on those?[/quote]

That's the cool thing about SPS - bake to the standard 4" height (or 5" , or even 7") and there's no cutting. SPS legs come precut.

CakeItGood Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 4:13am
post #23 of 26

Nope, the collars are off ... that is one IQ test that I did surprisingly manage to pass icon_biggrin.gif

I am talking about the ridge that sets around the bottom edge of the ribbed grecian column even once the collars are off (the part that first pushes through the cake and rests on the plate below). I bought this as a kit "Multi-piece Grecian Column", and there is definitely a nonremovable ridge around the base that makes it harder to push this column into the cake than the Wilton plastic dowels. It was the only SPS pillar that ABC Cake in Phoenix sells with SPS. Apparantly we can use the extensions by themselves (so they said) but I don't see how that would work either since they are made to fit into the bottom of that Grecian Column (vs. fitting into the plate). Even the diagram printed by the mfr shows the ridge around the base of the Grecian column. Is there another column that we should be buying online that does not have this ridge? My explanation might not be the best ... I can forward a picture if needed. Thanks!

ConfectionsCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConfectionsCC Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 4:16am
post #24 of 26

Leah, please link us to your instructions on SPS!!! I am needing to know as well! and PLEASE if you order online pm me the site! the site I have they are way more expensive than just buying wilton dowels!

leah_s Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 8:41pm
post #25 of 26

1. You definitely can NOT use the extensions by themselves.
2. You need to switch to the 4" grecian columns, rather than the multi-piece. The multis are great for cake with separations. That little lip/ridge on the bottom of the multi doesn't serve any real purpose that I can see, but it may have something to do with adding the extension.
3. The instructions are a Sticky on the Cake Decorating Forum. Go to page 15.
4. Order from Oasis Supply. Search for Cake Center on their site for a 10% off coupon.
5. You can also order from GSA, no coupon.
6. If you can set up a wholesale account you can order directly from the manufacturer, BakeryCrafts. CKProducts also carries some, but no all of SPS.

Jenniferkay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenniferkay Posted 29 Apr 2011 , 1:09am
post #26 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4bugzinarug

Nope, the collars are off ... that is one IQ test that I did surprisingly manage to pass icon_biggrin.gif

I am talking about the ridge that sets around the bottom edge of the ribbed grecian column even once the collars are off (the part that first pushes through the cake and rests on the plate below). I bought this as a kit "Multi-piece Grecian Column", and there is definitely a nonremovable ridge around the base that makes it harder to push this column into the cake than the Wilton plastic dowels. It was the only SPS pillar that ABC Cake in Phoenix sells with SPS. Apparantly we can use the extensions by themselves (so they said) but I don't see how that would work either since they are made to fit into the bottom of that Grecian Column (vs. fitting into the plate). Even the diagram printed by the mfr shows the ridge around the base of the Grecian column. Is there another column that we should be buying online that does not have this ridge? My explanation might not be the best ... I can forward a picture if needed. Thanks!

I got the extension pieces once by accident and it was a disaster. I had to go back and cut my columns a 1/2" to sit flush with my cake. You need to be sure you are getting just the 4" columns only. I will never use any other than SPS. I just don't trust it. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%