Cake Help, Competition Rules.

Decorating By LisaPeps Updated 1 May 2011 , 8:36pm by airedalian

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 27 Apr 2011 , 1:21pm
post #1 of 6

I want to make a similar cake to this for a Winter Wonderland themed cake competition.

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1967952

Here are the rules:

A cake to be coated in sugarpaste or royal icing. Decoration to be of the competitors choice. No artificial decoration allowed including wires. The whole exhibit must fit into a 38cm (15) square.

I have emailed the organisers regarding using styrofoam dummies or wedges. I'm 99% sure the answer will be a no though.

So I'm wondering is there any other way to do this without the wedges? And how would you make twigs without having the wires to sculpt it around?

I could make it as a regular tiered cake, if the integrity of the structure is compromised by not using styrofoam wedges.

Any input would be appreciated.

5 replies
Jennifer353 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennifer353 Posted 27 Apr 2011 , 2:28pm
post #2 of 6

What were you going to make the cake from? Would RCTs be strong enough to hold in place of wedges if it is not a fruit cake or something really heavy?
Could you use vermicelli for the twigs? I have a pack of it and they are really irregular maybe you could put a few together for the main part of the stalk and let the separate further up?

LisaPeps Posted 27 Apr 2011 , 2:38pm
post #3 of 6

I doubt I would do a fruit cake. It'd probably just be a normal sponge.

I hadnt thought of rkt, that could work. If I coated it in royal icing it might be strong enough.

The vermicelli dipped in chocolate could work.

Any other suggestions? I'd love input from different people and explore different mediums I wouldn't have thought of.

And does anyone know if the RKT in place of wedges would work?

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 12:48am
post #4 of 6

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-705160-0-days0-orderasc-.html&sid=3cb14496f0e9692be66c83316dde5738

There's a recipe in this thread that could work. I used it for the ladybug cake in my photos, also for a competition. Originally, I didn't recommend carving it because I had a hard time leveling mine but what I didn't think of at the time was that my cakes were already a few days old. Maybe they're carvable when they're fresher. I still have that cake and it has held up wonderfully!

LisaPeps Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 8:42am
post #5 of 6

Thanks Elcee!

I added a reply onto that thread asking questions. I had never heard of anything like this before!

airedalian Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
airedalian Posted 1 May 2011 , 8:36pm
post #6 of 6

Lisa, I've only dabbled (at best) in cake decorating, but have supervised my girls through multiple years of gingerbread competition. The rules there are that everything must be edible, and the bulk of the creation must be from gingerbread, but rice krispie treats are the GO-TO solution for structural integrity in the more intricately-constructed designs. It was the first thing I thought of when I read your question, so if the form cake ends up not as shapeable as you hope, do give the RKT a try!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%