Help!! 3D Truck Cake

Decorating By Jody130 Updated 28 Apr 2011 , 7:39pm by cakeRocket

Jody130 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jody130 Posted 27 Apr 2011 , 12:56pm
post #1 of 3

I've tried searching for a tutorial on 3D truck cakes, I'm trying to make my nephew a 3D truck cake of his pick up for his 16th birthday coming next week, would like it to look like it's off the ground, can anyone help me with this or point me in the right direction?? BIggest questions, what size pans to use before carving, and how to make and attatch tires to truck, thanks in advance for all the help!
Love CC!!!!
Jody

2 replies
Connie1027 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Connie1027 Posted 27 Apr 2011 , 1:17pm
post #2 of 3

For the firetruck cake in my photos, I cut a piece of 1/2" foam core board about 2" smaller - all the way around - than the cake board. I covered the edges with black tape so it wouldn't be so visible.

For the tires, I made them with gumpaste several days in advance to make sure they wouldn't flatten when they stood on end. I just put a toothpick into each one, put a little water on the back, and pushed them in place. They stayed on just fine.

Depending on how big you want your cake, I would just make a 1/2 sheet cake, or even a couple 9X13s, plan out your cuts and stack away. A pickup is a pretty basic shape, so it shouldn't be that difficult. Just plan it all out on paper first.

cakeRocket Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeRocket Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 7:39pm
post #3 of 3

Oh thank goodness you posted this! I am also trying to research how to make a 3D truck cake and have been all over the place! Not sure how big you need yours to be but I only require a relatively small one (maybe 10-12" long). I'm trying to make mine a Toyota Tacoma so pretty simple but have no clue as to how to make it appear like it's off the ground. I made a small pink ferrari once but it was all fondant so it was easier to sculpt and mold the bottom of the truck to make it appear like the tires were on properly. I would also love to get some pointers! Thanks again for postingicon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%