Tip To Prepare For Next Day Decorating!

Decorating By yummy_in_my_tummy Updated 28 Apr 2011 , 1:06pm by MissCuteCupcakes

yummy_in_my_tummy Posted 27 Apr 2011 , 3:32am
post #1 of 7

I just wanted to share a very obvious, but new trick that I found tonight! I work full time and do all of my caking in the evenings. So if I have a cake due on a Saturday, I do a little bit at a time during the week before. I'll bake & freeze one night, make buttercream or ganache the next night, etc.

So tonight I made buttercream for my Friday order of cupcakes, and I'm so tired of putting it in a tub in the fridge, then taking it from the tub and into my piping bag - it's one extra dish to wash!

Instead of putting it into a tub, I cut a hole in the corner of a ziploc bag and put my tip and coupler (or whatever they're called) in the hole - set it up just like my piping bag. The shape was kind of odd, so I pulled one of the corners in and taped it, to make the bag more like a triangle instead of a square bag icon_smile.gif Then I filled it up and zipped it shut!

That way when I need to frost my cupcakes on Friday night I'll just have to pull it out of the fridge an hour or so before to soften it up, and walla! I'm good to go!

6 replies
CupQuequito Posted 27 Apr 2011 , 3:51am
post #2 of 7

I do this all the time.. but just in disposable piping bags. I just tie a rubber band and store as I need. icon_smile.gif Good tip icon_wink.gif

MissCuteCupcakes Posted 27 Apr 2011 , 1:45pm
post #3 of 7

is it ok for buttercream to sit at room temperature?

i think i read somewhere on here, that buttercream will be ok, if left on the counter...i've done this before and its so much easier for me because i dont have much refrigerator space once its filled up with cakes.

CupQuequito Posted 27 Apr 2011 , 1:57pm
post #4 of 7

Depends on hire long you're thinking of. Keep in mind, that your cake and cupcakes, will still sit out, after you've delivered them. But you've read right. The sugar content is high enough, that it makes buttercream "safe".

I don't use butter,.so I have nothing to worry about.

MissCuteCupcakes Posted 27 Apr 2011 , 2:07pm
post #5 of 7

the most my buttercream will sit out is about 1 or 2 days, not long

sillywabbitz Posted 27 Apr 2011 , 2:31pm
post #6 of 7

Don't you love when you find time savers. I do something similar but with the plug method listed in the sticky of one of the forums. I put one cup of frosting on a piece of saran, roll it up and twist the ends. I put the plugs in zip locks and freeze if I'm not using that week. To use I let them thaw on the counter, snip off one end and drop into my piping bag. It's very clean and easy. I like the one cup increments for small cakes and cupcakes. I'll do two cup increments if I use the icer tip. This also means I can make buttercream in very large batches and then it's ready to go whenever I need it.

The refrigeration requirements of your buttercream depend on your recipe. I use SugarShacks recipe and it does not require refrigeration or remixing when thawed. I think the meringue buttercreams have different rules.

MissCuteCupcakes Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 1:06pm
post #7 of 7

the plug method is a life-saver when it comes to cleaning piping bags...so much easier!

Quote by @%username% on %date%