How Do I Make Wood Grain Look For A Baseball Bat?

Decorating By Christine1219 Updated 2 May 2011 , 6:14pm by kendra_83

Christine1219 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Christine1219 Posted 27 Apr 2011 , 3:05am
post #1 of 6

I am looking to make a baseball bat. I am going to win carving it unless someone has a better suggestion. Additionally, I have no idea how to make a wood grain look for the bat?
Would like to use buttercream but I would also use fondant if necessary.
Any immediate advice would be welcomed.
[email protected]

Thnks

5 replies
babylittrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babylittrell Posted 27 Apr 2011 , 3:40am
post #2 of 6

I think for the grain wood effect fondant could be easier and cleaner to work with. Maybe you can color in yellow, beige or light brown to cover the cake. (you were thinking about carving a whole cake, why not baking a "niño envuelto" cake: http://pastelesmartha.blogspot.com/2007/08/nio-envuelto.html and carve just a little. Need translations? I can help!!) After the cake is covered, use a little amount of brown powdered edible color diluted in liquor (Vodka or tequila maybe?) so the alcohol evaporate and you keep the color. More liquor= lighter effect, More powder= darker effect. Apply with an artist brush carefully, giving the grain effect. Probably you'll need 1 or 2 light paint layers first and paint some dark spots/grains after. You can practice before with some playdough and wash it after!! Good luck and post some pictures!! thumbs_up.gif

Christine1219 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Christine1219 Posted 27 Apr 2011 , 3:05pm
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by babylittrell

I think for the grain wood effect fondant could be easier and cleaner to work with. Maybe you can color in yellow, beige or light brown to cover the cake. (you were thinking about carving a whole cake, why not baking a "niño envuelto" cake: http://pastelesmartha.blogspot.com/2007/08/nio-envuelto.html and carve just a little. Need translations? I can help!!) After the cake is covered, use a little amount of brown powdered edible color diluted in liquor (Vodka or tequila maybe?) so the alcohol evaporate and you keep the color. More liquor= lighter effect, More powder= darker effect. Apply with an artist brush carefully, giving the grain effect. Probably you'll need 1 or 2 light paint layers first and paint some dark spots/grains after. You can practice before with some playdough and wash it after!! Good luck and post some pictures!! thumbs_up.gif

Thank you so much !!! Your idea is wonderful !! I really appreciate the help. I never thought to roll a cake out.. what a good idea. Is there anything in the Spanish directions that I need to know or just make a thin cake & roll?
Thanks again !!

CutieMcCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CutieMcCakes Posted 30 Apr 2011 , 3:00pm
post #4 of 6

I made a baseball bat one time and actually marbled the fondant. I colored it evenly in a light yellow with tinge of browns,, and then when it was a good base color, put brown gel/color and worked the fondant until it was a marbled effect, then rolled it out. It was a super easy technique and fast! The bat looked awesome! Good luck!

mplaidgirl2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mplaidgirl2 Posted 30 Apr 2011 , 3:04pm
post #5 of 6

I just did wood grain for a sign I was doing. I brushed water onto the fondant, Then brush Brown gel food coloring on top and ran the tooth side of the butter knife through the color. Cool wood grain pattern if its a small area

kendra_83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kendra_83 Posted 2 May 2011 , 6:14pm
post #6 of 6

I would go with the marbled fondant and maybe airbrush a few brown tones over it

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%