Shelf Stable Custard? Is Is Possible?

Baking By momtofourmonkeys Updated 28 Apr 2011 , 3:04am by momtofourmonkeys

momtofourmonkeys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momtofourmonkeys Posted 27 Apr 2011 , 12:13am
post #1 of 7

I have a groom's cake coming up. 18"x24". The filling request is for a vanilla custard or something similar. I need the cake to be able to sit out over night as it won't be able to fit in the cooler once I get it on the 21"x27" base. I have been brainstorming... If I make a vanilla custard and then mix it into my buttercream (Indydebi's recipe) at a 1 to 1 ratio for a creamier custard would it make it shelf stable?

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated!

6 replies
scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 27 Apr 2011 , 2:02am
post #2 of 7

I don't believe you can make homemade custard shelf stable.

momtofourmonkeys Posted 27 Apr 2011 , 2:57am
post #3 of 7

Thanks for your reply. Still brainstorming...What if I did Indydebi's recipe and added vanilla pudding mix into the ps and shortening along with a tad more milk than what she calls for. I am thinking of putting that spin on this recipe: http://cakecentral.com/recipes/17415/easy-creamcustard-filling-can-be-used-with-any-pudding-mix

I would leave out the whipping cream since the shortening and ps would thicken the icing. Not quite a pudding custard but might have a slight resemblence. The customer is leaving it up to me to come up with "something close" that will work if a pudding/custard filling won't.

What do you think?

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 27 Apr 2011 , 5:02am
post #4 of 7

ShirleyW's faux bavarian cream recipe:
(Can substitute Rich's Bettercreme for shelf stable filling.)

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/2396/bavarian-cream-filling

HTH

akgirl10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
akgirl10 Posted 27 Apr 2011 , 5:53am
post #5 of 7

What about those sleeve fillings? I think they are all shelf stable???

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 27 Apr 2011 , 6:41am
post #6 of 7

Does the venue have a place you can store it? The vanilla puding mix, bettercreme, and especially the sleeves do not taste like real custard. Between now and then, maybe you could find a restaurant with space, if not the venue. Offer to rent the "space". I have a Holiday Inn down the road. If I needed space, the chef is a friend. Perhaps you can find a Mom and Pop restaurant who will trade for a personal gift certificate for a little cake or cupcakes.

momtofourmonkeys Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 3:04am
post #7 of 7

Thanks everyone! I found a sleeved filling that will work.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%