Can Anyone Tell Me Why ??

Decorating By mommynana Updated 27 Apr 2011 , 1:59am by Coral3

mommynana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommynana Posted 26 Apr 2011 , 1:30pm
post #1 of 15

I put aside some buttercream put a little Wilton leaf green in it. When i put it in the bag and piped with it. It piped blue, But the one left in the dish was a green, What Happened ???

14 replies
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 26 Apr 2011 , 2:55pm
post #2 of 15

Maybe your tip was dirty with blue left in it.

mommynana Posted 26 Apr 2011 , 3:16pm
post #3 of 15

Crw41, It was a new tip, I had the bag full, And the buttercream was blue in their, Weird.

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 26 Apr 2011 , 3:32pm
post #4 of 15

I have had that happen with Wilton colors before and don't use them any more. The purple always fades to blue on me, too. I cannot tell you why it happens (because I don't know, not because I refuse to share! Hahaha!) but I just know I have not had that problem when using Americolor colors, or really, ANY other brand. Sorry this isn't super helpful, but at least you know it's not 'you'. icon_lol.gif

Queento2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Queento2 Posted 26 Apr 2011 , 3:43pm
post #5 of 15

I don't know why either, but I do know that inside my yellow wilton cap turned green. For the life of me I couldn't figure it out, since it clearly was marked with a yellow sticker on the cap, letting me know I hadn't put the wrong color cap on there. I don't buy Wilton's colors anymore, but I have so many right now, that will take a very long time to use it up. I'm so sold on the americolor tubes.

Melvira Posted 26 Apr 2011 , 6:42pm
post #6 of 15

The other bonus of Americolor is that you squeeze a drop out, you aren't constantly digging in there with toothpicks and getting it on your fingers. I appreciate that so much!! And, you can get your commonly used colors in huge bottles. I get big ones of black, brown, and red at least. I use those most often.

mommynana Posted 26 Apr 2011 , 6:42pm
post #7 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvira

I have had that happen with Wilton colors before and don't use them any more. The purple always fades to blue on me, too. I cannot tell you why it happens (because I don't know, not because I refuse to share! Hahaha!) but I just know I have not had that problem when using Americolor colors, or really, ANY other brand. Sorry this isn't super helpful, but at least you know it's not 'you'. icon_lol.gif

Thank you, Melvira, I thought i was going crazy, I never had that happen to me, I even said to my husband, Would you look in that dish and tell me what color that is (he said green) Then look at this bag and and what do you see ( he said blue) Ok I`m not crazy. I have americolor for the air brush can those colors be used for buttercream ??

m_willford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m_willford Posted 26 Apr 2011 , 6:49pm
post #8 of 15

I just started using the americolor, and am in love! The only thing I don't like is the color of the sticker on the lid isn't very accurate, so it takes me a little playing around to make sure my color is right. I'll get the hang of them pretty quick, I'm sure. I haven't used Wilton red or black for years, I found some stuff in England that works much better. But I'm giving americolor a try since I don't have to mail order it from a foreign country!

My green has never turned blue, but it doesn't surprise me in the least. I've been tempted to try for Wilton teaching certification, but I'd have to use their stuff teaching classes and there are lots of products that I have found better elsewhere. (Like the leveler... LOL)

instant-gratificaketion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
instant-gratificaketion Posted 26 Apr 2011 , 7:59pm
post #9 of 15

Hmmm, I haven't had this issue but I'm definitely going to be on the look out for it from now on. I started purchasing some americolor but haven't used it yet. I guess I'll be phasing out the Wilton, just to be on the safe side. I definitely don't like having to use a toothpick and I can never keep from getting color on my hands.

mommynana Posted 26 Apr 2011 , 8:45pm
post #10 of 15

Is americolor only sold on line.????

Melvira Posted 26 Apr 2011 , 8:58pm
post #11 of 15

Americolor is available in a lot of craft and caking stores. You can also order them online of course.

You can use the Amerimist in a pinch, but it's not going to be as strong of a color, and it's going to thin out your icing a little bit since it's thin like water. It's definitely worth it to order a set of basic colors. You won't be sorry!

mommynana Posted 26 Apr 2011 , 11:08pm
post #12 of 15

Thanks, Melvira

Melvira Posted 26 Apr 2011 , 11:14pm
post #13 of 15

thumbs_up.gif

sandeeb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandeeb Posted 27 Apr 2011 , 1:31am
post #14 of 15

Hi, I have had this problem with Wilton colors but they have been the only colors I have ever used. I have a cake shop and now I am replacing wilton colors with Americolors. I don't know why the color change happens but I have learned " if you use milk in your icing, instead of water, the color will be truer. For instance black color mixed with white buttercream will not turn gray as expected but turns green without milk: violet will turn blue without milk also". If at any time, using wilton colors, the colors don't come out as expected add a little milk. It's amazing, right before your eyes it changes. The violet, even with the milk, shows up blue in photos.

Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 27 Apr 2011 , 1:59am
post #15 of 15

Americolor purple fades too! It's not just Wilton. I use Americolor 'Regal Purple' and 'Electric Purple' and they are both terrible for fading!.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%