Question On Pound Cake Wedding Ccake?

Decorating By CiNoRi Updated 28 Apr 2011 , 6:43am by scp1127

CiNoRi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CiNoRi Posted 26 Apr 2011 , 4:09am
post #1 of 13

Hi all I recently was asked to do a wedding cake using pound cake. I always use some variation of the WASC Recipes for my cakes...

I have heard of people using "pound cakes" before, but stupid question... for argument sake, does any pound cake recipe work in our decorating cake pans, work for stacking, etc?

A friend told me that she wanted pound cake for her wedding but the decorator talked her out of it saying it wasn't a good idea for stacking. Is there any truth to that? I would think using a good SPS system should handle any weight of cake.

I'm supposed to meet with the potential client on Thursday, just trying get my thoughts and plans in order.
Any input about this would be wonderful.

12 replies
KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 26 Apr 2011 , 5:42am
post #2 of 13

Yes any recipe should work. Pound cake is much heavier and denser.... meaning it's super sturdy! Just make sure you have the proper amount of support inside. Sometimes decorators use reasoning like for something they just don't want/know how to do icon_smile.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 26 Apr 2011 , 11:58am
post #3 of 13

Yes pound cake works fine for wedding cakes. It makes no difference what flavor the cake is. Or it's weight. You're right, wedding cakes depend on their support system and SPS works great!

grandmomof1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmomof1 Posted 26 Apr 2011 , 12:25pm
post #4 of 13

I have done all my wedding cakes in pound cake using the decorator pans and flower nails for the heating core in the middle. It works like a charm.

Chasey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chasey Posted 26 Apr 2011 , 12:39pm
post #5 of 13

I grew up in the south and would guess that 75% of the weddings I attended definitely had pound cake as the wedding cake! I remember going to a wedding where it was a fluffier, box mix type of cake and my mother and I just looked at each other after tasting it and said "why did they choose a birthday cake for a wedding cake?" icon_lol.gif

I just tried Paula Deen's Cream Cheese Pound cake this weekend and it was divine! Didn't change a thing and it came out tasty and MOIST!

sidhesh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sidhesh Posted 26 Apr 2011 , 12:47pm
post #6 of 13

Sometimes the simplest techniques produce the most striking effects, as is the case with these single tiers topped with cocoa-powder initials (his, hers, and theirs). A fairly dense cake, such as a pound cake or vegetable-oil-based cake, works best to provide an even surface to stencil, as does turning the flat bottom of the cake top-side.

rosa369 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosa369 Posted 26 Apr 2011 , 2:06pm
post #7 of 13

Does anyone has a tender, moist, nice crumb pound cake recipe? I have tried some of them from our recipe list but I didn't like the outcome.

Chasey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chasey Posted 26 Apr 2011 , 3:41pm
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa369

Does anyone has a tender, moist, nice crumb pound cake recipe? I have tried some of them from our recipe list but I didn't like the outcome.

Try this one from Paula Deen, I loved it! I used the new Philly Cooking Cream cheese and didn't change anything. Oh wait, I did reduce the almond to 1/4 tsp and replaced that with more vanilla. It's moist and slices well.

Paula Deen's Cream Cheese Pound Cake
Yield: 12 servings

Prep Time: 12 min
Cook Time: 1 hr, 30 min
This is one moist and decadent pound cake- turns out lovely and perfect and ready for a simple topping of whipped cream and fruit.

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) butter, at room temperature
1 (8 ounce) package low fat cream cheese, at room temperature
3 cups granulated white sugar
6 large eggs
3 cups cake flour, sifted twice after measuring
pinch of salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon almond extract

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease and flour a 10-inch bundt pan (I like to use the nonstick spray that is especially for baking... with the flour mixed into it).

2. In a large bowl, cream together butter and cream cheese with an electric mixer until well combined. Add in sugar and continue to mix for about 6 minutes, until fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition, until well blended. Gradually add the flour, beating and scraping down the sides until it is all incorporated. Mix in salt and extracts.

3. Pour into prepared pan. Hit the pan gently on the counter about 5 times to help settle the batter and remove any air pockets. Bake for about 1 1/2 hours. The cake is done when it pulls away from the sides of the pan and a toothpick inserted comes out clean.

4. Remove from the oven and let cool in the pan for about 15 minutes. Invert the cake onto a wire rack and let cool completely before serving.

http://www.recipegirl.com/2007/06/20/paula-deens-cream-cheese-pound-cake/

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 26 Apr 2011 , 5:07pm
post #9 of 13

Southern Living has three pound cake recipes on http://myrecipes.com. I have a recipe, but it is traditional with no leavening and they aren' the easiest to learn. If you haven't made one, don't go this route.

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosa369 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosa369 Posted 27 Apr 2011 , 1:50pm
post #11 of 13

Thanks a million guys!!! You're the best!! I'll try all the recipes.

CiNoRi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CiNoRi Posted 27 Apr 2011 , 8:08pm
post #12 of 13

Yes thanks for the info and the recipes. Yeah I figured the not using pound was due to the lack of "stacking skills". icon_razz.gif

I have a pound cake recipe that was mom's and always got rave reviews when made. might just give that one a whirl!

Any suggestions for a good Lemon Pound?

Thanks!!!

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 6:43am
post #13 of 13

Southern Living has one on my "to bake" list. But if you already have a family recipe, why not alter it with lemon extract, zest, and a glaze. Limoncello... if you want to go gourmet. I too have a family recipe. My grandmother did make lemon once, but we all were crazy about it plain.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%