Stack Or Carve!!

Decorating By anesha Updated 5 May 2011 , 6:44am by anesha

anesha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anesha Posted 26 Apr 2011 , 3:27am
post #1 of 6

I am doing a crawfish cake and I want to make a huge stock pot laying on it's side with crawfish and all the fixins spilling out... For the pot... Should I stack the rounds on end with a flattened edge or should I stack the cake upright and carve out the cylinder shape? My concern with stacking on end is that it will separate... Just not sure what I would do for support.
It will be filled with buttercream and covered in fondant. PLEASE HELP!

5 replies
bakingkat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingkat Posted 26 Apr 2011 , 3:51am
post #2 of 6

I can't say I have tried anything like this, but I think I would stack upright and carve it best as possible. Or maybe just have a pot that is upright with all the fixins on top and coming out? That sounds alot easier to me. Good Luck with however you decide to do it. Cant wait to see how it turns out.

cakeninja82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeninja82 Posted 26 Apr 2011 , 4:13am
post #3 of 6

I did a pill bottle spilled over on it's side, I used a few sheet cakes stacked and carved.
I guess it depends on how many servings you need.

anesha Posted 26 Apr 2011 , 4:22am
post #4 of 6

It needs to feed about 50 people.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 26 Apr 2011 , 4:47am
post #5 of 6

Carve. If you stack the rounds on their side, gravity will win and they will separate without having "bookends" to keep them together.

anesha Posted 5 May 2011 , 6:44am
post #6 of 6

Thanks to everyone for your help. I ended up stacking the cake 3 layers high, so I ended up with two 3 layer cakes. I then cut off the edge of one of the stacks, making sure it was deep enough and then cutting the same amount off the second stack (I put them side by side for reference). I then tipped the stack over on to the board, filled the "bottom" of the stack and add the second stack of cake. It worked out GREAT!! It was filled with whipped chocolate ganache and lasted that night and the day of the party out of the fridge at room temperature!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%