Help: Shaping A Cake

Decorating By gargurle Updated 27 Apr 2011 , 11:20pm by LisaPeps

gargurle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gargurle Posted 26 Apr 2011 , 1:10am
post #1 of 5

Hi everyone! I am pretty new to cake decorating. I have only done round cakes and 1 shaped cake that was flat and easy. I am doing a grooms cake for a friend that is due in 2 weeks. The grooms cake (Red Velvet with cream cheese filling) is suppose to be a bowl filled with noodles. My question is if I fill the cake and try to shape it into a bowl, won't the filling spill out? Or am i suppose to shape the cake first then fill it??? Please help.

4 replies
step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 26 Apr 2011 , 1:30am
post #2 of 5

shape the cake and then fill it! icon_wink.gif also, it works best when you freeze the cake and cut little by little when frozen. good luck

gargurle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gargurle Posted 27 Apr 2011 , 10:05pm
post #3 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by step0nmi

shape the cake and then fill it! icon_wink.gif also, it works best when you freeze the cake and cut little by little when frozen. good luck

Thanks a lot for the tip step0nmi!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 27 Apr 2011 , 10:16pm
post #4 of 5

I'm one of those that likes to start with a basic shape first. For a bowl, depending on what size it is, I'd probably use the ball pan or even the wondermold pan then there is no to very little carving. You can also bake in the pamper chef glass measuring bowls.

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 27 Apr 2011 , 11:20pm
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

I'm one of those that likes to start with a basic shape first. For a bowl, depending on what size it is, I'd probably use the ball pan or even the wondermold pan then there is no to very little carving. You can also bake in the pamper chef glass measuring bowls.

This is exactly what I would do. I'd use a pyrex mixing bowl and just bake it inside it. All you have to do is torte and fill then.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%