What Size Do Think These Tiers Are???

Decorating By DivaWeava Updated 27 Apr 2011 , 9:00pm by TexasSugar

DivaWeava Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DivaWeava Posted 26 Apr 2011 , 12:58am
post #1 of 14

I would like to gather opinions as to the size of these tiers. My best guess is either a 12, 9, and 6; or an 11, 8, and 5. I have been stacking pans at home, and I think the bigger of the two is the better guess. However, I could be completely wrong.

Also, I would like to know your opinion on how deep each tier is... 5 or 6 inches???

Thanks for your opinions!!! (0:

It's a Google doc, so just add the https:// before the link! (0:

docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=gmail&attid=0.1&thid=12f8f445ec328784&mt=application/msword&url=https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui%3D2%26ik%3D316e8bce64%26view%3Datt%26th%3D12f8f445ec328784%26attid%3D0.1%26disp%3Dsafe%26zw&sig=AHIEtbRMrjkYc3QQKtiKiDzwBcHkcqyv7w

13 replies
Mfattore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mfattore Posted 26 Apr 2011 , 1:37am
post #2 of 14

Link goes to sign in for googlemail. Try to post the link again.

DivaWeava Posted 27 Apr 2011 , 4:09am
post #3 of 14

Thank you for letting me know. The bride sent me the picture in Google Docs. I am unsure of how to post it otherwise. Does anyone have any suggestions? I also do not know where she found the link. I think I will try and see if I can find the cake online somewhere so I can post it.

Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 27 Apr 2011 , 4:12am
post #4 of 14

If you want a photo to show up in your post, here's how:

First upload the photo into an online photo site like Photobucket (getting a photobucket account is easy and FREE) then just copy the photo's image code (IMG Code) from photobucket and paste it into your post. Then when you hit 'submit comment' the photo will display in the thread. Easy.

Photobucket is here: http://photobucket.com/

I'm pretty sure you can also use Flickr like this too - just look for the image code (IMG code) and copy and paste it.

Does Google Docs give an IMG code for the pic? - I don't know anything about Google Docs.

DivaWeava Posted 27 Apr 2011 , 4:19am
post #5 of 14

Okay, so I think it may work now. I went on Google Docs and made the link public. Please let me know if it works! Thanks! (0:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1v8yPyeOfuZO7n5A3XAoiM6KLDIrDN7Jn8L-smQM6qFA/edit?pli=1&authkey=CJmkn0c#

sebrina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sebrina Posted 27 Apr 2011 , 4:28am
post #6 of 14

Looks like 6, 8 & 10 to me. HTH! icon_smile.gif

DivaWeava Posted 27 Apr 2011 , 4:29am
post #7 of 14

Or this one: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1v8yPyeOfuZO7n5A3XAoiM6KLDIrDN7Jn8L-smQM6qFA/edit?hl=en

I don't understand why it is asking for a sign in. When I created the link it gave me the option to make it public to anyone who had the link, with no sign-in required.

Gotta love technology!!! (0:

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 27 Apr 2011 , 4:46pm
post #8 of 14

How many servings does the bride need? To me that is more important than what size those tiers are. If that size cake serves way more than she needs she'll be paying extra for unneeded cake.

QueenOfSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QueenOfSweets Posted 27 Apr 2011 , 4:57pm
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

How many servings does the bride need? To me that is more important than what size those tiers are. If that size cake serves way more than she needs she'll be paying extra for unneeded cake.

I agree that knowing this information is a key place to start. However, I can understand wanting to know what sizes the original tiers are so that you can maintain the same proportion if you need to adjust sizes for servings.

Based on the assumption that the top tier is a 6" round, I calculated that the tiers are right at 4.25" tall, the middle tier is a 9" round, and the bottom is a 12" square.

Hope that helps!

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 27 Apr 2011 , 5:27pm
post #10 of 14

12" square, then 8" and 6" rounds. When going from square to round you have to skip a size.

DivaWeava Posted 27 Apr 2011 , 7:29pm
post #11 of 14

Thanks everyone! I agree with those who posted about making the cake to fit how many servings are needed. I do like to estimate the original sizes, so that I can make the cake proportionate. However, when the bride sent me this picture she said she wanted her cake to be the exact same sizes. I just wanted to be sure that I could match the sizes so the florist could attach the flowers. I generally do the flowers for my cakes, but the bride wanted deep purple orchids, which I do not have immediate access to.

I am thinking that this cake will serve around 116-125 people (according to the Wilton guide). Based on a 12, 9, and 6 inch pans.

On a side note, does anyone know that actual servings a 9 inch round has? I have searched everywhere, and it seems that most sites only offer the standard servings of even sized pans.

Thanks again! I really do appreciate all of your help!

Have a great day! (0:

TexasSugar Posted 27 Apr 2011 , 8:01pm
post #12 of 14
DivaWeava Posted 27 Apr 2011 , 8:35pm
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/baking-wedding-cake-2-inch-pans.cfm

This chart lists 9in rounds.

Thank you! (0: This will be so helpful! I don't know why this chart never comes up when I do a search for serving sizes.

I have bookmarked the link! (0:

TexasSugar Posted 27 Apr 2011 , 9:00pm
post #14 of 14

You are welcome. This is the same chart that is in the Wilton yearbooks, so if you have one of those around you also have it in there. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%