Please Help

Decorating By Cakebeginner1 Updated 26 Apr 2011 , 2:56am by carmijok

Cakebeginner1 Posted 25 Apr 2011 , 9:02pm
post #1 of 6

Ok so I tried to make a cake which I thought turned out pretty good. But when I iced it it totally broke apart! I used vanilla icing. Please tell me what happened!

5 replies
carmijok Posted 25 Apr 2011 , 9:25pm
post #2 of 6

Need more information. Did it break apart while you were frosting it? After? Really fresh-out-of-the oven cake can crumble very easily. Try freezing your cake first to make it easier to frost. (wrap it well in cling wrap). It holds together better and if you're a newbie, you probably need the stability to start. And what kind of icing did you use? Buttercream with real butter, canned, shortening...? Need more info.

wiggler Posted 25 Apr 2011 , 9:26pm
post #3 of 6

What type of icing was it ? Fondant / Buttercream ? What cake recipe did you use ? need a bit more info to help icon_smile.gif

Cakebeginner1 Posted 25 Apr 2011 , 9:27pm
post #4 of 6

I used out of the can vanilla icing and pit it in the freezer before icing it. It broke when i was icing it.

Mo-Mo73 Posted 25 Apr 2011 , 9:27pm
post #5 of 6

so sorry to hear that..you probably didnt let it cool long enough..the best way for me is to cool room temperature and then i wrap my cakes and freeze them..usually overnight..that way when i ice or decorate the cake it keeps it moisture and its easier to smooth on the icing without a lot of crumbs

carmijok Posted 26 Apr 2011 , 2:56am
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakebeginner1

I used out of the can vanilla icing and pit it in the freezer before icing it. It broke when i was icing it.

I've always found canned icing to be a bit gooey...it would be better (and cheaper really) to make your own frosting. Much tastier too. And you very well could have been pressing too hard when applying it. I can't imagine a frozen cake crumbling like that. Did you taste your cake? What was the texture?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%