Wilton Gumtex And Glucose

Baking By 46Sis Updated 26 Apr 2011 , 2:42am by yummy_in_my_tummy

46Sis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
46Sis Posted 25 Apr 2011 , 8:01pm
post #1 of 5

I followed the wilton instructions to make gumpaste 3 times wasted 9 cups of icing sugar and each time got a hard mass of something has anyone else had a problem with this or maybe know what I am doing wrong icon_sad.gif

4 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 25 Apr 2011 , 8:33pm
post #2 of 5

I think there is something off in the recipe, but at the moment I can't remember what it is.

I always just buy the premade gumpaste from wilton and haven't had any problems using it.

ppinkow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ppinkow Posted 26 Apr 2011 , 12:07am
post #3 of 5

I'm so glad I saw this post! I was going to make some tonight! I think I'll make a little bit first. I'll let you know how it goes.

sparkle25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sparkle25 Posted 26 Apr 2011 , 2:28am
post #4 of 5

I use this technique all the time and have never had a problem. Is this the recipe you follow:

1 tbsp Gum-Tex
3 cups sifted icing sugar
1 heaping tbsp glucose
4 tbsps warm water

I combine the Gum-Tex and 3 cups sugar and make a well in the center. Then I combine the water and glucose and microwave for 30 seconds until the mixture is clear. Add the water/glucose mixture to the Gum-tex/icing sugar mixture and stir it well (it will be really soft).

I pour it into a ziplock bag and let it sit overnight (it will become rock hard). Then when I am ready to work with it I break off a handful and knead in some more icing sugar until it turns soft and white - I have to do it in handful chunks at a time, because the mixture can be quite hard all together and the heat of your hands helps soften it.

Hope that helps.

yummy_in_my_tummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy_in_my_tummy Posted 26 Apr 2011 , 2:42am
post #5 of 5

I also make mine, just like sparkle25. When you are ready to use it, it is really really hard and you have to knead it with at least another cup of PS. It will get brighter white and more pliable

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%