Very Upset

Lounge By damchick Updated 30 Apr 2011 , 3:32am by ptanyer

damchick Posted 25 Apr 2011 , 4:13pm
post #1 of 12

I know this is a bit too emotional, but making and decorating cakes makes me very happy. I was an axious depressed mess until I found this outlet. I have been decorating for 3 yrs now, and for the past few years Ive begged my sister to let me make my nephew a cake, be it birthday or Chirstening. She always says no, and buys those ready made store bought cakes. I know she dislikes me, but come on, this is just freaking mean. She knows how much the cake thing means to me, and since I dont sell, my only outlet is for family bdays. This year she wanted to try to make a cake, of course she dicided this after I said I was going to make him a cake. She doesnt even know how to bake. I said lets do it together and I would teach her some great tricks, and she told me to drop it. This is so rediculous but now im crying cause im sick of her rejecting me.

11 replies
CWR41 Posted 25 Apr 2011 , 4:29pm
post #2 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by damchick

I know she dislikes me,

If you know this, you need to quit trying... it will never work and it's time to find a new sister (one that appreciates you)!

ladyellam Posted 25 Apr 2011 , 4:43pm
post #3 of 12

Family isn't always by blood. I have some fantastic "sisters" and "brothers" that share no DNA with me. Are they my family? YES! I also have siblings that I don't talk to and never will. I have surrounded myself with people that love and care for me and that's what you need to do.

I would try and find some kids where their families can't afford a cake and offer it to them. It will go to a better cause and will help you nurture your talents.

I am sorry that you are hurting so much.

Elcee Posted 25 Apr 2011 , 11:46pm
post #4 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by damchick

...for the past few years Ive begged my sister to let me make my nephew a cake, be it birthday or Chirstening. She always says no...

I never offer more than once. It's time for you to stop offering and just concentrate on making FABULOUS cakes for the rest of the family so she can see what she (and her son) are missing! icon_biggrin.gif

Sangriacupcake Posted 25 Apr 2011 , 11:56pm
post #5 of 12

Quit banging your head against the wall...find some folks who would love to have some delicious cake. Family isn't your only outlet. I bake a lot, and I mean a lot!! for charity, for friends & neighbors, for the local fire station, for the teachers at the school where my kids went, for my son's fraternity, etc. There are so many caking outlets!

dldbrou Posted 26 Apr 2011 , 12:07am
post #6 of 12

Well, I would want to tick her off and decorate a cake and wrap it up as a present and let the child open it carefully and SURPRISE, your cake as a real gift. Not telling her your intentions of course and you also get a reg. present for the child. But that's just me letting my sister know that I can be just as mean.

ApplegumPam Posted 26 Apr 2011 , 12:40am
post #7 of 12

MOVE on - there are SO many more important things in life to worry about.

Nothing appealing about clingy, whingy-whiny people - nobody wants them as friends

The funny thing with people is that the minute they think you don't care less whether they like you or not.... they start WANTING to be your friend.

TexasSugar Posted 26 Apr 2011 , 1:41pm
post #8 of 12

I'm going to agree with those that say quit asking or offering. Obviously you and your sister don't have a great relationship. You already know her reply, so why do you keep putting yourself in a position to be rejected by her?

It's time to let go of that and move on. As was stated above there are other places you can take your cakes to.

strathmore Posted 27 Apr 2011 , 6:14am
post #9 of 12

Yep I got a sister like this thumbs_up.gif - a twin no less - I gave up trying to have any type of relationship years ago and my other brother and sister finally after all these years can see it too. Drop it - its not worth the emotional drain and stress that it gives you. Been there done that - you are the winner, she is the looser. And when she does want something say you are too busy - sounds vindictive but will save you more stress and dissapointment in the future as she will just shite on you again.... And its true that the less someone likes you the more you want them to like you - if it was a random person well you would have to just accept that and find nice friends not someone who will run you down emotionally.

klutzy_baker Posted 27 Apr 2011 , 12:49pm
post #10 of 12

I'm very sorry you are hurting so much icon_sad.gif It sounds very frustrating that you want to do something nice for your nephew but your sister is preventing it from what I'm guessing are purely selfish reasons. But like others said, you need to let it go. It sounds like it's doing more harm to you by focusing on it.

Sangriacupcake had a wonderful idea regarding baking for neighbors, and especially charity. You should do some social networking...even just look in the newspaper or ask churches...schools etc..if they are needing anything made for a raffle.

I hope things work out for you. icon_smile.gif

Coral3 Posted 29 Apr 2011 , 11:22pm
post #11 of 12

I think all kids should have a home-made birthday cake made by their own Mum (or other parent figure). It's probably a strange thing for a caker to say, but I think it's better for kids to have a plain/simple (or even dodgey!) cake made by their own Mum than it is to have a cake made by anyone else, regardless of how fabulous someone elses cake might be. I never offer to make cakes for my little nieces and nephews.

And I know you said she often ends up buying a cake rather than making it herself, but that's her choice. I say don't be offended by it - maybe she always has intentions of making it herself, but ends up buying for one reason or another? Its clear she doesnt want you to make it, so stop offering and let her do her thing.

ptanyer Posted 30 Apr 2011 , 3:32am
post #12 of 12

Listen to previous replies - forget about her. She isn't the be-all and end-all. There are SO many other people you can do beautiful cakes for! Why not contact your local women's shelter? The women in the shelter have so many problems to focus on, that they would be delighted to have someone give them or their children a beautifully decorated cake, and more likely than not, they wouldn't have the money to spend on such a special cake. And it would make you feel so good that you made someone happy icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%