Freezing Cakes With Decorations... Help!?!?!

Decorating By lsz1978 Updated 26 Apr 2011 , 5:24pm by lsz1978

lsz1978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lsz1978 Posted 25 Apr 2011 , 3:58pm
post #1 of 7

i know you guys know more about cake decorating than me, and that is why i need your advice...

i am curious about freezing cakes! i have a client who wants a cake during a week that i will be out of town. i can bake and decorate the cake by then, but i could only deliver it 5 days before her party! could i freeze the entire cat-in-the-hat cake, decorated with fondant, gumpaste and modeling chocolate and have it delivered to her the day before the party??? would the cake still look the same and be okay for delivery? HELP!!! i need to respond to her cake request today!

6 replies
Isadorable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Isadorable Posted 25 Apr 2011 , 8:37pm
post #2 of 7

Well, I'm not a cake expert. But I make my own fondant, and I did do a cake this week-end and tried to freeze it (covered with fondant and fondant decoration) and took it out the next day. And the fondant was in real good condition and the buttercream and cake also. So, according to my personal experience... I had no problem at all! Good luck!

dmo4ab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmo4ab Posted 25 Apr 2011 , 9:23pm
post #3 of 7

The suitcase cake I made (in my gallery pics) was delivered on a Friday for a man who was retireing. It turned out he was sick that day so they froze it until Monday. They told me it was completely fine, though I did not see if for myself.

If I were you and time permits, make a small cake with some of the same elements and stick it in the freezer overnight and then just see what happens.

lsz1978 Posted 25 Apr 2011 , 9:56pm
post #4 of 7

thanks you guys! i'm feeling better about this! hopefully it will freeze well!

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 25 Apr 2011 , 10:08pm
post #5 of 7

You can freeze it. Box it at room temp, wrap the box in saran & foil, put in a garbage bag, sqeezing out as much air as possible, freeze.

To defrost, place completely bagged & boxed cake in refrigerator for at least 24 hrs. Remove from fridge & place at room temp, STILL FULLY BOXED & BAGGED, for at least 2hrs. (if it's a really big cake, longer). Remove all covering about an hour before presentation or serving.

By keeping the room air away from the cold cake, you shouldn't have any condensation. If it's a rainy day or unusually humid day, the cake will sweat no matter what you do.

Rae

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 25 Apr 2011 , 10:10pm
post #6 of 7

Do you live in a real humid place? If so, when that cake comes out of the freezer it will form condensation. If you wrap it well, and keep it wrapped while thawing that is suppose to make the condensation form on the outside of the box. If the condensation does form on the cake, then it could cause darker colors to bleed.

Are the gumpaste peices going to be free standing? Again moisture during thawing can cause them to wilt or lose their shape.

lsz1978 Posted 26 Apr 2011 , 5:24pm
post #7 of 7

thanks for all of your replies... for some reason i wasn't notified via email... so i'm just getting back to you guys!

anyway, do these freezing instructions apply to cakes covered in fondant or with buttercream? i've read a lot of things about keeping the cake covered until it thaws, but other things i've read say uncover it. i'm concerned about the fondant... what about covering the cake in modeling chocolate???? either way i will only be crumb coating it with buttercream and covering it with something!

i'd love to hear your thoughts!
thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%