Cake Ideas For A Colleague Leaving To Be A Dog Trainer?

Decorating By jennifercullen Updated 26 Apr 2011 , 10:05am by Coral3

jennifercullen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennifercullen Posted 25 Apr 2011 , 1:21pm
post #1 of 6

I offered to make a cake for this saturday for my colleague/friend who is leaving my place of work to set up her own dog training business. Original Idea was a paw print with her logo on the main part and little things on the toe parts but I dont think thats going to look very good. This is a link to her logo I'd like to have on the cake:

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/205048_191095474266873_176230022420085_464485_221588_n.jpg

I did think just a white cake with the logo on top, then some little paw prints and things around the side, but as she is my friend I wanted to make it something special. Any ideas would be GREATLY appreciated as I'm completely stuck and cant seem to think of anything else to do!

icon_biggrin.gif

5 replies
bakin4luv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakin4luv Posted 25 Apr 2011 , 4:51pm
post #2 of 6

I'm new today too. I could't see the logo but maybe: paw prints all over with fondant figure of friend surrounded by several dog breeds on top; or paw prints all over with "house" on top, representing the new business with the logo on the house.

Ladysmyth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladysmyth Posted 25 Apr 2011 , 6:47pm
post #3 of 6

What about stencilling the logo with icing or sugars, outline the diamonds with royal icing and fill with something you can make shimmer...but here's the part I think would be cool...make it tiered and put a "dog collar" around the upper layer: coloured fondant with "stitching" and "studs" and a buckle (make that from royal icing and let it dry....) maybe even a matching "leash" that wraps around the lower layer and "good luck" written on the "leash"

jennifercullen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennifercullen Posted 25 Apr 2011 , 8:03pm
post #4 of 6

baking4luv-that sounds awesome icon_cool.gif , and I can imagine it would be perfect, but I've never done modelling yet so might be a little bit advanced for me lol. I tried to make a dog this afternoon from modelling paste, it was ok but I dont know how I'd go to make different breeds. I might have a go and see what i come up with icon_smile.gif

Ladysmyth- I love the collar idea! thumbs_up.gif I'm thinking 2 tier now rather than shaped. That way with a collar I could personalise it more to my friends tastes too. I was thinking of printing out the logo and cutting out each part to use as a stencil and cut it out of fondant or gumpaste.

Thankyou so much for both of your ideas, definitely got the cogs moving again! detective.gif

Jenny

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 25 Apr 2011 , 11:23pm
post #5 of 6

I love your friend's logo and business name!

Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 26 Apr 2011 , 10:05am
post #6 of 6

You could make it a bit more fun by putting badly behaved dogs all over it (ie her future customers)...I'm thinking dogs chewing shoes, chewing furniture, digging the garden, destroying pot plants, tracking muddy footprints inside and having 'accidents' on the couch, unrolling toilet paper, etc etc. Lot of work though, I know, but if gumpaste/fondant modelling is your thing it sure would be fun to make. It wouldn't look so much like a 'corporate cake', more of a 'cake for a friend' (and you could still sneak her logo in there somewhere if you wanted)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%