Why Isn't This Bride Bending Over Backwards?

Business By pinkpiggie78 Updated 30 Apr 2011 , 8:19pm by ilovesprinkles

pinkpiggie78 Posted 25 Apr 2011 , 11:48am
post #1 of 10

Last Monday I was contacted by a bride for a May 7, 2011 wedding cake. I expected this was a spur of the moment wedding for a small crowd (50 or less). However, upon talking to her, I make the assumption that because of where they are holding the wedding reception (popular local venue) and the number of people attending (120), something happened to their original cake order or she just forgot about getting one. Anyway, I told her that I wasn't doing any tastings for the next week or so and offered her a tasting to go. She said the earliest she could pick it up was Thursday early afternoon. She picked it up and I told her to let me know immediately what design she wanted (she was still debating on two different ones) and what cake/buttercream combo she liked and I would get her the contract by Saturday at the latest (doing my cakes Thurs/Fri). I hear nothing from her Thursday and by mid-day Friday I send her an email asking for her decisions. Needless to say the feet-dragging continues... I spoke with her on Saturday early afternoon and told her I was sending the contract and payment information within the half hour, expecting both to be taken care of as soon as it was sent. Again, I stressed the importance of completing this immediately and I still have not been paid for this cake.

I realize that this cake is still almost 2 weeks away, but why does this bride not want to get her cake ordered? I even need to order something for the cake and told her I won't order the items until she has paid in full!!

9 replies
cakesbycathy Posted 25 Apr 2011 , 1:04pm
post #2 of 10

Either she really doesn't care about the cake or just doesn't "get" that it isn't something you can just whip up.

I'd give her both one last phone call and send her one final message that if you don't have both the signed contract and full cash payment by end of business tomorrow that you will not be able to make her cake.

If you don't hear from her then either she is going with someone else and isn't bothering to tell you or she is just doesn't think there's a rush. Either way it's not your problem or your responsibility.

pinkpiggie78 Posted 25 Apr 2011 , 1:17pm
post #3 of 10

As soon as the baby goes down for his nap, she is getting another phone call. I will get paid and the contract today or no cake. It's ridiculous!

jenmat Posted 25 Apr 2011 , 4:33pm
post #4 of 10

There are people, especially brides, who are sooo wrapped up in their lives that they can't see beyond their noses.
She should be thankful you agreed to do the cake, but she's not going to be, so just give her that last chance, and if she pays, realize that you may be taking a chance on this customer and make sure you have your documentation all in order before you deliver.
Argh. I get that a lot with last minute people. No gratitude. I'd be like "Thank you SO much, you're really saving me!" And then give a big tip. But then again I'd never wait until the last minute to order a big cake.

pinkpiggie78 Posted 25 Apr 2011 , 4:48pm
post #5 of 10

Well she paid and I have the contract in hand. She still didn't seem to understand the urgency, but oh well...

leah_s Posted 25 Apr 2011 , 5:16pm
post #6 of 10

Oh pink, how silly of you. She's a BRIDE. It's HER DAY. She knows you have nothing else to do, no life of your own and are just waiting to make her something beautiful on HER DAY. Why you'll probably be so grateful to get to WORK FOR HER, you'll offer a discount. After all, you obviously didn't have anything else planned for HER DAY.

^ sarcasm

Yeah, give her a deadline then cut her loose or tack on a PITA/rush fee.

pinkpiggie78 Posted 25 Apr 2011 , 5:21pm
post #7 of 10

She got a $75 rush fee icon_smile.gif

JulieMN Posted 25 Apr 2011 , 11:03pm
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkpiggie78

Good for you! People never cease to amaze me.......

sherrycanary62 Posted 26 Apr 2011 , 6:44pm
post #9 of 10

no contract....no meeting of the minds...no cake...simple as that.

ilovesprinkles Posted 30 Apr 2011 , 8:19pm
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkpiggie78

Good for you! I'm a big fan of the PITA fee. Otherwise known as the BRIDEZILLA fee, or the ME ME ME fee.

Seriously though, it never ceases to amaze me that no one gets it. What, you mean you just can't whip up that custom wedding cake in a couple of hours? icon_rolleyes.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%