My Cake Is Dry Sometimes!

Baking By Phlee330 Updated 4 May 2011 , 3:45pm by teezed

Phlee330 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Phlee330 Posted 25 Apr 2011 , 1:34am
post #1 of 11

I level and freeze my cakes while warm. Can this cause them to dry out? Also can refreezing them a couple times do it? What about keeping the decorated cake in the fridge versus freezing it? I really need help understanding what is happening when some cakes come out super moist while others are dry?

10 replies
Katiebelle74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katiebelle74 Posted 25 Apr 2011 , 1:44am
post #2 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phlee330

1. I level and freeze my cakes while warm. Can this cause them to dry out?

2. Also can refreezing them a couple times do it?

What about keeping the decorated cake in the fridge versus freezing it? I really need help understanding what is happening when some cakes come out super moist while others are dry?

as for the first question yes
as for the second yes again

freezing thawing refreezing I would not recommend. DO NOT cut your cake while warm you are allowing moisture/steam to escape that you want to remain in your cake. Let it cool before cutting.

Sorelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sorelle Posted 25 Apr 2011 , 1:48am
post #3 of 11

I freeze my cakes after they've hit room temp. gives them time to settle too I avoid the frig like the plague, that'll dry them out faster than anything. When I do get a dry one it is almost always the cooking time(over cooked)but I have fixed them by wrapping them in damp (not wet) paper towels then wrapping in plastic wrap it moistens them right up. hth

tryingcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tryingcake Posted 25 Apr 2011 , 3:02am
post #4 of 11

If your cake is dry - don't lose any sleep. Throw some simple syrup on it and drive on.

Katiebelle74 Posted 25 Apr 2011 , 3:25am
post #5 of 11

I also recently discovered cake strips. Never used them or heard talk of them in culinary school, never used or saw them in any pro pastry kitchens, so all these years I thought they were "becky home ecy junk" WOW was I WRONG. They are a dream. Night and Day difference in my cakes! Funny the things you don't learn about cake in pastry school. And yes of course I agree with tryingcake : always, always use simple syrup. Even if it is moist when you go to torte it, by the time you decorate, deliver and it gets served the extra insurance of simple syrup is always worth it.

tryingcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tryingcake Posted 26 Apr 2011 , 4:38am
post #6 of 11

Katiebelle74, I always use when I have to bake way in advance. I just feel better. (wink)

Katiebelle74 Posted 26 Apr 2011 , 4:54am
post #7 of 11

I use simple syrup, even when I bake the day before the event. Just helps make the cake stay really moist, and the customers potential left overs stay moist longer with simple syrup.

Phlee330 Posted 4 May 2011 , 4:00am
post #8 of 11

Thanks for all the helpful tips! I will certainly put them into practice. As far as the cake strips...are these Wilton products? I have seen something like that and always thought they were a little gimmiky...If they really work, I will try them.

I think I may have overbaked this last one. Dry cakes don't happen often, but it is very frustrating when they do. i will def try the simple syrup!

Katiebelle74 Posted 4 May 2011 , 4:33am
post #9 of 11

Yes they are wilton and yes I thought they were gimmiky crap for years and never gave them a shot. Finally did and wow, why the hell did I wait so long? Some people use strips of towels i have not tried that yet but am planning on it especially since the wilton are for 2" deep pans and I have a number of 3" deep pans, so I plan to give the towel thing a try on the 3" deep pans. Wish I had taken photos of my first go baking two 8" cakes, same batter, same magicline pan, same oven, same temp, same time...one with strip one without SHOCKING difference!

Phlee330 Posted 4 May 2011 , 2:44pm
post #10 of 11

Great! Thanks for the info! I will give them a try.

teezed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
teezed Posted 4 May 2011 , 3:45pm
post #11 of 11

I've tried using the towel strips(dampened) and they worked like a dream!
The mix took a longer time to bake though, about 20minutes extra but it was definitely worth the extra time. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%