Fondant Sheeter

Decorating By Cookingkimber Updated 26 Apr 2011 , 12:37am by nancyg

Cookingkimber Posted 24 Apr 2011 , 10:59pm
post #1 of 13

I finally got a fondant sheeter and I need help. I can't seem to get the fondant to roll through without getting stuck to the rollers and when I have the white guard on my fondant drops under the guard.

I have using with my sweetwise mat but its getting a ton of wrinkles on it and its leaving impressions on my fondant. I always see them used on the tv shows and I can't seem to get mine to work like that.

I need help and any tips that anyone can give me.

12 replies
Marianna46 Posted 24 Apr 2011 , 11:00pm
post #2 of 13

I got a pasta machine and have the same problem. I hope somebody out there has a useful suggestion or two!

gigiofknb Posted 25 Apr 2011 , 3:58am
post #3 of 13

I have a pasta machine and I have found that I have to grease up my hands, roll the gum paste or fondant a few seconds and the put it through the pasta machine. Works really well and I have had it stick less to each other. Before I lay it out to cut I overdust the surface and also the top of the paste or fondant. Has worked for me.

tonedna Posted 25 Apr 2011 , 5:13am
post #4 of 13

In the pasta machine I use grease. In the sheeter just a bit of cornstarch. Make sure that is not
too thick or it will get stuck.
Edna icon_smile.gif

Marianna46 Posted 25 Apr 2011 , 8:41am
post #5 of 13

Edna, what kind of grease - Crisco? My problem is that it sticks to the rollers.

tonedna Posted 25 Apr 2011 , 3:01pm
post #6 of 13

Take shortening and a paper towel and grease the rollers.(while machine is off)
I mention the thickness of the fondant, because I have many students that have
tried to pass a thick piece of fondant through the sheeter and it will stick to the rollers.
So make sure the thicknes of the fondant is not too thick for the space you have
in between the rollers. Either roll the fondant thiner or leave more space between
the rollers and then start moving to a higher number.
Edna icon_smile.gif

Cookingkimber Posted 25 Apr 2011 , 8:49pm
post #7 of 13

Edna, what number do you normally roll your fondant out to on your sheeter. I think I may be rolling mine out to thin and thats why my cakes keep looking lumpy inder the fondant even though the buttercream is smooth.

tonedna Posted 25 Apr 2011 , 11:32pm
post #8 of 13

I use the one I used when I went to Challenge. I can't remember the number I used to be quite
honest. But I love the machine. If your cake is looking too lumpy it could be that is too thin or that your
finish underneath the fondant is not smooth.
Do you use buttercream underneath the fondant?
Edna icon_smile.gif

Marianna46 Posted 25 Apr 2011 , 11:48pm
post #9 of 13

Thanks for the info, Edna. I'll take your advice and see if it doesn't work better. My pasta machine is manual, which makes it a little harder, but I think my basic problem is that I leave my fondant too thick when I put it in the rollers. Unfortunately, I won't have a chance to try this for a while, because I'm going out of town for about a month, but I'll take a stab at it as soon as I get back.

Cookingkimber Posted 26 Apr 2011 , 12:08am
post #10 of 13

Edna, I do use buttercream under my fondant and I have watched your videos and i can't seem to get a complete smooth finish cake.

I believe I use the same sheeter that they use as well its a somerset.

tonedna Posted 26 Apr 2011 , 12:25am
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianna46

Thanks for the info, Edna. I'll take your advice and see if it doesn't work better. My pasta machine is manual, which makes it a little harder, but I think my basic problem is that I leave my fondant too thick when I put it in the rollers. Unfortunately, I won't have a chance to try this for a while, because I'm going out of town for about a month, but I'll take a stab at it as soon as I get back.

The majority of the time the problem comes from leaving the fondant or gumpaste too thick for the rollers.

Edna icon_smile.gif

tonedna Posted 26 Apr 2011 , 12:27am
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookingkimber

Edna, I do use buttercream under my fondant and I have watched your videos and i can't seem to get a complete smooth finish cake.

I believe I use the same sheeter that they use as well its a somerset.

Keep practicing..learning to do a smooth buttercream its something that need practice, it wont happen overnight. It's like learning to write. But once you learn, you never forget!
Edna icon_smile.gif

nancyg Posted 26 Apr 2011 , 12:37am
post #13 of 13

Did you get a sheeter for dough???? If so they are stainless steel rollers. A sheeter for fondant has nylon rollers and it doesnt stick to fondant. I have a 30" somerset fondant sheeter. Is that maybe the problem???

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%