How To Charge For Fondant Accent Pieces

Decorating By Shermie1 Updated 24 Apr 2011 , 10:17pm by Shermie1

Shermie1 Posted 24 Apr 2011 , 9:39pm
post #1 of 4

Could someone please give me some direction. I am making a cake for a church raffel. I'm trying to calculate the value of the cake. How do you charge for fondant pieces? I know the per serving cost but charging for the fondant pieces is new to me. I know they are time consuming. Would someone please HELP ME !!!!! Thanks in advance

3 replies
jason_kraft Posted 24 Apr 2011 , 9:52pm
post #2 of 4

Calculate the cost of the fondant, add the cost of your time (a reasonable hourly wage * the number of hours it would take to make the fondant piece), and add your overhead based on the amount of time the fondant pieces take you vs. all your orders for the year (this includes liability insurance, utilities, etc.). This sum is your cost for the fondant pieces, which would be added on to the final price of the cake. If you were selling the cake you would add another 20-30% for your profit margin, but since it's a non-profit I assume you will be selling at cost.

LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 24 Apr 2011 , 9:53pm
post #3 of 4

It depends on how complicated they are. If they are just simple fondant cut-outs, they are usually included in our per serving fondant price. If they are more involved, like figures or something, we estimate how long they will take to make and charge per hour for them and how much cost of materials would be for them. Then we add that amount into the total.

Shermie1 Posted 24 Apr 2011 , 10:17pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks guys. I appreciate your feedback

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%