Pearl Sheen & Paint

Decorating By ChrisJack1 Updated 25 Apr 2011 , 12:42pm by ChrisJack1

ChrisJack1 Posted 24 Apr 2011 , 6:56pm
post #1 of 6

Okay, hopefully you're all as addicted to this forum as I am & will steal a minute from your Easter Sunday to check on us fellow cakesters. icon_smile.gif I'm making my Easter cake, and would like to know if you all put pearl sheen on your cake layers before or after you paint on them. I'm using my airbrush for the first time, so I'm not sure which I would do first. I worry if I put it on after I paint, it will sort of cover up my work. On the other hand, if I do the sheen first, I worry that it will mix with my gel colors and they'll gum up or something. Any help is greatly appreciated!! Happy Easter!!

5 replies
Marianna46 Posted 24 Apr 2011 , 11:38pm
post #2 of 6

If you're talking about pearl dust, it's made to be put on at the end, over any color. Don't worry, it will enhance the finish, not cover it up. I found out something interesting the other day though. I mixed some pearl dust in with some Americolor gold food coloring and I got a nice metallic gold color. I was using it to paint some details by hand, though. I imagine it might gum up your airbrush if you used it there.

ChrisJack1 Posted 25 Apr 2011 , 4:14am
post #3 of 6

Thanks for the reply! I decided to wait to use the pearl because I wasn't sure what to do - however I think I'll give it a go tomorrow after the kids are off to school. icon_smile.gif Here's the cake I made...

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2014837

Maybe I'll do a before and after icon_smile.gif

cheatize Posted 25 Apr 2011 , 4:46am
post #4 of 6

Mariann46: Do you think that would work with red? I need a really metallic red for a drum cake.

Marianna46 Posted 25 Apr 2011 , 8:48am
post #5 of 6

ChrisJack1, that's a really beautiful cake. I'd only put the sheen on the green tier, though. The pearl dust won't totally cover up the flowers, but it will tone them down. They're so beautiful I can't see doing that to them. I put it in my favorites, by the way. Cheatize, I don't know if it would work with red, but after my success with the gold (it came out kind of a champagne gold), I'd be ready to try it with other colors. Why don't you try it out on a little piece of fondant to see what happens. And be sure to let me know! I have to pack up my cake supplies because I'm going to be out of town for about a month or so, or I'd try it myself. But for some reason, I have one of those mega-jars of pearl dust, so if I find out it works, I'll be doing a lot of this.

ChrisJack1 Posted 25 Apr 2011 , 12:42pm
post #6 of 6

Thank you so much, Marianna46 - (Marianna was my name in Spanish class in high school!) That you put my cake in your favorites is a high compliment to me!! I have to do a cake for my neighbor this weekend, so maybe I'll hold off and try it then. I REALLY appreciate your help!! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%