Cake Flour Question

Baking By josefina20 Updated 26 Apr 2011 , 11:00am by josefina20

josefina20 Posted 24 Apr 2011 , 4:57am
post #1 of 4

hello cc friends. did any one think that a cake made using cake flour (the grocery store one) taste like an industrial made cake? well i do not know if is just me, but i made a cake using the store brand one, and i think it did not taste like homemade cake. I am experimenting with new recipes, but all of them use cake flour on it, so i need to know if there is any other brand that i can used.

thanks.

3 replies
LindaF144a Posted 24 Apr 2011 , 2:45pm
post #2 of 4

Cake flour gives a different taste to cake than AP flour.

I can't say it tastes like industrial because I don't eat that kind of cake anymore and our taste buds are different anyway.

You can substitute AP flour, take 2 TBsp out to get the same weight. Or you can make your own by adding in 10% corn starch or potato starch. They will all taste and react differently so pick the one you like.

JanH Posted 25 Apr 2011 , 5:56am
post #3 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaF144a

Cake flour gives a different taste to cake than AP flour.

Almost all cake flour is bleached (except for King Arthurs cake flour blend), while not all AP flours are bleached (and this makes a big difference, especially when making butter cakes).

I've never noticed that the flavor/taste of a cake made with cake flour is any different than a cake made from eithr bleached or unbleached AP flour.

However, the size of the crumb and texture are certainly not the same. Cake flour results in a finer, more tender crumb than using AP flour.

Everything you ever wanted to know about flour:
(And how the differences impact the finished baked product.)

http://www.realbakingwithrose.com/2010/03/the_power_of_flour_part_one_of.html

HTH

josefina20 Posted 26 Apr 2011 , 11:00am
post #4 of 4

Thank so much for all this great tips. I will try to use cake flour one more time and see if was just one of my crazy day.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%