Cake To Feed 1,000 People?

Decorating By gr8cakemaker Updated 25 Apr 2011 , 5:41pm by KoryAK

gr8cakemaker Posted 24 Apr 2011 , 1:48am
post #1 of 12

So an AMAZING and regular client of mine has just inquired about a cake for her sons' schools spring carnival (she is president of the PTA). I was super excited because I think carnival cakes are so fun to make. 100's of ideas popped in my head, fondant lions, bears, elephants, tigers, clowns etc. She then informs me that it would need to feed at least 1,000 people!!!!!!!!!!!! icon_eek.gif Has any one on here tackled such a project? I have figured out a design using 5 8" cakes as the "base" in the form of a circle then stacking tiered cakes on top. I will definitely be using a steel center support for the cake as well. In my mind I think I have it figured out. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Whats the largest cake yall have ever made?

( oh and NO she doesnt want cupcakes, so not an option)

11 replies
bfogle Posted 24 Apr 2011 , 2:10am
post #2 of 12

We have made 2 4 foot by 8 foot cakes for our school. Several sheet cakes lined up on a table we made. Then decorated. We did most of it on site. Sounds like you have a good plan. Go for it!!!
IP thumbs_up.gif

CWR41 Posted 24 Apr 2011 , 3:06am
post #3 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8cakemaker

I have figured out a design using 5 8" cakes as the "base" in the form of a circle then stacking tiered cakes on top.

So, what's your setup to get that many servings?

If you start with five 8" cakes (120 servings),
add a 6" tall 18" cake with a board in the middle to cut and serve 3" tall slices (254 servings),
and add a 16", 14", 12", 10", 8", and 6"... that's only 682 servings.

I'm curious where the rest of the servings will come from without cupcakes or sheet cakes.

(I've made a sheet cake for 600 and a wedding cake for 3000.)

mareg Posted 24 Apr 2011 , 3:34am
post #4 of 12

3000! OMG. How did you do it???? Wow. Impressed!!

CWR41 Posted 24 Apr 2011 , 5:39am
post #5 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mareg

3000! OMG. How did you do it???? Wow. Impressed!!

Couldn't have done it without satellite wedding cakes.

cake_architect Posted 24 Apr 2011 , 6:51am
post #6 of 12

does it have to be one cake necessarily? i mean its not a wedding, so its not like the guests will expect only one centerpiece cake. maybe you could make 4 tiered cakes that serve 250 each? that way you can use several of your ideas on each cake and they can display each in a different part of the carnival. just a thought icon_biggrin.gif

allaboutcakeuk Posted 24 Apr 2011 , 9:37am
post #7 of 12

I think cake-architect has a good idea. Why not make the whole table a "theme" of cakes perhaps that way each cake can be done separately and you can make a display on the whole table. Could each cake represent something to do with the school? one for sports, learning, play, art etc? Lots of bright colours, fun decorations? icon_smile.gif

gr8cakemaker Posted 24 Apr 2011 , 11:53pm
post #8 of 12

Thanks everyone for the ideas. As for the plan I am going to do 5 cakes in a circle then stack up from there (two columns of tiered cake) then stack up from there with one column. Hope that makes sense. They want one big cake and not several smaller ones or a large sheet cake. I feeling pretty good abot my design for it but I think I just need to sit down and do the math to make sure I have the right amount of servings and definitely do a sketch. Thanks!

gr8cakemaker Posted 24 Apr 2011 , 11:58pm
post #9 of 12

CWR41 I would LOVE to see a picture of that wedding cake to feed 3,000 people! Do you have a pic you can post???

CWR41 Posted 25 Apr 2011 , 3:00pm
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8cakemaker

CWR41 I would LOVE to see a picture of that wedding cake to feed 3,000 people! Do you have a pic you can post???

I don't post photos.

cakeninja82 Posted 25 Apr 2011 , 3:26pm
post #11 of 12

Is a stacked cake the best idea for a school carnival?
I know it sounds exciting but as far as ease of serving to a bunch of children I would think a sheet cakes would be best.
Just an opinion.
Maybe you can make a display cake and then serve sheet cakes?

KoryAK Posted 25 Apr 2011 , 5:41pm
post #12 of 12

Before you spend too much time working on sizing and design you really need to ask them their budget. In my experience, PTO's just don't have the cash flow to pay tons for a cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%