Sugar Flower Tools For Starting Out

Decorating By brown_suga Updated 27 Apr 2011 , 4:32am by brown_suga

brown_suga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brown_suga Posted 24 Apr 2011 , 12:52am
post #1 of 8

I will soon start teaching myself how to make sugar flowers. Do any fellow cc'ers have suggestions as to what tools are best for me to start out. I'm looking for the most complete list so that I can start making the most common flowers requested without having to constantly stop by my local cake deco shop.

7 replies
tokazodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokazodo Posted 24 Apr 2011 , 1:36am
post #2 of 8

Last year for my birthday, I received a gift card to Michael's Craft Store. I made purchased several tools, but there were 2 things I purchased which I use everytime I make cakes.

I purchased the Wilton fondant and gumpaste 10 piece tool set and the Wilton Floral Collection and flower making set. (the one with the book)
When I am working with fondant, I am constantly using these tools and I feel they are a worth while investment.

I've looked at the books several times with the intent of learning how to make the gum paste flowers but to be perfectly honest, I've been too busy working full time at a school and secondly, getting my business started. But for real, I do use the cutters and the tools everytime I make a cake with fondant accents.

I hope this helps,
tokazdo

brown_suga Posted 24 Apr 2011 , 1:51am
post #3 of 8

Thank you tokazdo! icon_smile.gif I actually recently purchased the wilton 10 piece gum paste and fondant set. I completely agree with you, I think it was one of my best tool purchases so far. I use it on almost every cake. Definitely a great kit. I haven't purchased the flower making set yet so thanks for the suggestion I will look into it. Anyone else have any favorites?

Frecklysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frecklysmom Posted 24 Apr 2011 , 2:32am
post #4 of 8

When I first started making gumpaste flowers, I struggled with it...and still do sometimes but I bought this 5petal rose cutter and it worked great! There are others like it that are probably just as good. I hope this link works. Good luck and have fun.

http://www.globalsugarart.com/product.php?id=17034&name=JEM%20110mm%20Easy%20Rose%20Cutter

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 24 Apr 2011 , 2:57am
post #5 of 8

A good ball tool is important. I have the 10 piece wilton set but the ball tool imo is no comparasion to the metal tool. I just recently switched and it is well worth the money. Here is a link of an example:
http://www.globalsugarart.com/product.php?id=23396&name=Ball%20Tool%20by%20Colette%20Peters

Also there is a sticky in the How Do I forum that CC user Rylan posted and it has lots of how to's for flowers. Here is the link:
http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-654803.html. Have lots of fun.

ETA: A cel pad is important so that you can put wires on without ripping your gumpaste:
http://www.globalsugarart.com/product.php?id=16794&name=CelBoard%20by%20CelCakes

brown_suga Posted 24 Apr 2011 , 3:29am
post #6 of 8

Thank You for the flower links partygirl... they are awesome! @ Frecklysmom, wow I could spend a fortune on globalsugarart.com That site may be dangerous. icon_smile.gif

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 24 Apr 2011 , 9:01pm
post #7 of 8

Nicholas Lodge has a DVD called something like "Video Catalog" that shows the basic sugar paste tools and how to use them. It is only about $20, and you'll pick up some killer tips and tricks along with knowledge of the "proper arsenal". If Global does not have it (they used to sell it), you can go to International Sugar Art Collection's web site to order.

brown_suga Posted 27 Apr 2011 , 4:32am
post #8 of 8

Thanks for all the great ideas. I am going to add the Nicholas Lodge DVD to my wishlist. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%