Adding Raspberries To A Cake.

Baking By Briarview Updated 26 Apr 2011 , 2:34am by sugarandstuff

Briarview Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Briarview Posted 23 Apr 2011 , 10:19pm
post #1 of 10

I have a request from a bride for a White Chocolate and Raspberry cake.
Just wondering can tinned or frozen raspberries be used as it is the wrong time of the year. I would worry about the juice and water as it could change the consistency and texture of cake. Has anyone any suggestions please.

9 replies
Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 23 Apr 2011 , 10:34pm
post #2 of 10

Yes you can, I usually slightly "squash" them to remove some of the moisture, but I don't think you have to. If you use frozen, then I add the liquid to the amount of the liquid in the recipe. icon_biggrin.gif

caymancake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caymancake Posted 23 Apr 2011 , 10:59pm
post #3 of 10

I use frozen and purée them. I use the purée to replace some of the liquid in the recipe, same as karen421. Hope that helps!

Briarview Posted 24 Apr 2011 , 6:13am
post #4 of 10

Thanks all I will try tomorrow.

sunset74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunset74 Posted 24 Apr 2011 , 6:33am
post #5 of 10

I would make sure and thaw the berries completly and drain them. I would not use the liquid unless your cake recipe calls for water. Some recipes that are scratch use milk because they need a certain amount of fat. So just be careful with that part.

I did fresh strawberries tonight but am going to be trying the same thing for dealing with the off season, but have found before that strawberries have a ton of extra liquid in them and it really comes out when they are frozen first.

let us know how it goes for you.

thebrat68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thebrat68 Posted 24 Apr 2011 , 9:04am
post #6 of 10

I was searching online for something like what you are doing... But I wanted the cake to stay mainly white and if you mix all those berries in you get pink.... I found (don't remember where) that if you take 1/4 of your cake batter and the add in your crushed berries and then marble it through your cake it has a very nice effect... I have not yet tried this but plan to on next cake adventure.

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 24 Apr 2011 , 5:17pm
post #7 of 10

When raspberries are not in season I use fresh frozen berries (not in liquid) ,and do not thaw them. After the batter is scaled, I push in the frozen berries. This way the batter stays true to color.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 24 Apr 2011 , 7:45pm
post #8 of 10

I don't thaw my blueberries in my muffins and they turn out great. I sub frozen when the fruits are not at the farmers markets. Out of season fruit at the grocery store is terrible.

Briarview Posted 26 Apr 2011 , 2:22am
post #9 of 10

Well I have just had a go with making the cake. I did buy a tin of raspberries but was unimpressed with the colour and the amount of liquid so I opted for the frozen ones. Made the batter and divided into two pans and pushed the still frozen raspberries into the batter. I think I didn't put enough in as when I layered the cake there were not many to be seen and those that were were not a nice colour and seem to fall out and leave a hole in the cake with this awful colour. I also placed ganache in between the layers and the first attempt was to put the frozen raspberries into the ganache and of course it made the ganache seize so that was a bad idea. Next I placed a layer of ganache and then the crushed raspberries on top of that and then another layer of ganache and did this with the rest of layers. I think this would be the way to do it and leave them out of the batter completely. Have cut the cake and tested the cake and the bright colour looks great but not impressed with the cooked raspberries. I think another option would just to use raspberry jam in the layers so much easier. Will wait and see what the couple say tomorrow when they have their tasting.

sugarandstuff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarandstuff Posted 26 Apr 2011 , 2:34am
post #10 of 10

I use frozen ones all the time in the winter months for cakes and cupcakes - I do not thaw them at all, just add them to the batter at the end and lightly stir them in by hand into the batter - not with the mixer. If you can used fresh, lightly toss them in flower before you add to the batter and then they do not sink to the bottom.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%